[moo-discussions] MOO stuff (races)

  • From: Scott Hackenbruch <toon500@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dataplusbetaware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 02:33:19 -0700

Alright, so I'm still working, here, but I had an idea. Every mud needs a
'theme'. I've already asked you about it, TC, and you've said you want a blend
of 'fantasy' and 'sci-fi'. While tricky, it's doable. So, I've started writing
a 'backstory' to the 'universe'. 'Universe', as I define it, is the world
within which the story takes place. For instance, the 'Star Wars' universe.

Now, I'm not sure what sorta file types you can support, but I've attached a
.doc to this file. It contains what I've written for a potential backstory. Not
sure if everyone involved in this project will get this, but if they don't,
please pass it along to them, too. If someone can't see it, let me know and
I'll find an alternative way of gettin you the story.

If you like it, I'll keep writing it up to 'current' day. The gist of the story
is:
"Once upon a time there was fantasy. The races of that fantasy world went away,
leaving us Humans alone. Now, it's the year X, a few centuries into our future,
and the races have all returned. Along with them, Humans have encountered other
races in the galaxy."

Like I said, a very basic outline. I have only a little bit done on the story.
I kinda can't go too far, right now, because I need a few things before I do.
They are as follows.

Races/Species:
I need a list of 'fantasy' player races we're going to have running about the
place. I was sent the 'Goblin' race, and I've got them in the story, as you'll
see. I've also included Elves and Dwarves. The Elves are, in my mind, the
Tolkien kind. At least, from a looks prespective. The Dwarves are likewise. So,
the Elves are tall and pretty, the Dwarves short and not so pretty. The Goblins
are as they were described in the mail.

Obviously there needs to be some limits on the amount of races. For one, too
much choice and you'll swamp players. We can always add more races, later, when
we have a player base. To start, I'd say no more than 10 or 12 races. Having
unqie abilities and such for them will be hard enough, as it is. With that
upper limit set, I'd say about 5, maybe 6 'fantasy' races and the same for
'sci-fi' races. Humans wouldn't count for either. I mean, we _have_ to have
Humans. It's like a law, or something.

So, for fantasy races, we already have Elves, Dwarves and Goblins. Obviously, I
can change Elves or Dwarves if enough feel strongly against them, but they're
pretty big staples in Fantasy. Keep in mind, we can have 'sub-species' of
certain races. For instance, I have 3 sub-species of Elves. I'll write up
specifics on each type, if anyone is interested. I'm just saying we should have
10-12 species, max, and, if we want, have sub-species for some with slightly
altered stats.

The races listed below are others that would work as player races because in
stories they've created empires, and such. Races like 'troll' and 'giant'
haven't. They're usually little more than semi inteligent creatures.

Orcs/Orks
Draconian
Gnoll
Lizardfolk
Centaur

I'd only really want to see 'Orc' as another possible one. The rest, I would
prefer original races and names. It is so much more fun to make and so much
better for the sorta setting we're going to have. Sorta like the Tauren from
Warcraft. They were, essentially, sentient cows. I mean, come on. Now _that_ is
original. Also, let's try and avoid 'supernatural' races, like faery/fairy or
nymphs or zombie, etc. Best to have proper 'species' which have both male and
female and have created empires.

Anyway, let me know what other fantasy races are desired and I can start
working them in. If it's a custom deal, though, I'll need some basic
information on them. Also, not to 'blow my own horn', here, but I have a lot of
experiene creating custom races. I've already made my own mud in the past with
over a dozen custom races, excepting humans, and i have an entire universe in
my head with tons of races i can draw from. So if some one wants some help with
races, names, or even just the heirarchy/structure of a race, let me know.

Once again, story is in the next mail. It's long. Like this mail. Sorry. I
don't do 'short' very well.