[darkice] Re: watch darkice errors and restart if necessarily

  • From: JoergSorge <joergsorge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:17:52 +0100

Am 15.01.2012 19:36, schrieb Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat IT&Internet):
> If it really makes sense to bring further redirections into the origin rc
> script pls let me know this with a short explanation.
> just btw:
> Another option for you may be to use any of the typical small or
> sophisticated logfile "monitor" apps which - as a own process - watch aginst
> any defined strings in logging files and restart stuff like darkice processes
> as required by that.
> Personally i hardly prefer the icecast status variant (service based) as it
> catches the most of all thinkable local (or remote) problems or problems
> we've faced over the past years within darkice streaming scenarios. It makes
> no sense to know if you can ping any server or the icecast server as it may
> down even if the IP could be pinged.
> We "often" (up to several times a day) have ring buffer write errors within
> some logs even if the stream is working after that without any process
> restart - so i did not used that as a restart signal for us, but may be i'm
> in a "wrong" setup here.

Thank you for your explanation.
I'am totally new to darkice. Perhaps, it could be a setting, that I do't
know, what prevented my fails. In my tests, everytime when the "ring
ruffer" occures, the connection was established and the sound was a big
noise, restart has helped, but this is the experience of a few days..
To watch the logfile seams for me now, the simplest way..
my intention is it, to "pack" all necessarily things in a (few)
script(s), to make it easy for non-linux-users to boot the server again.

Under WinXP/Oddcast we haven't had any problems to stream to an external
icecast in the last two years...but we'll switch from MS/XP.
I use linux for several years, but my experience in scripting now is to
small.

Regards,
Jörg