[dance-tech] Re: the social in social choreography

  • From: Daniel Tércio <danieltercio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:20:04 +0000

Dear all

Two points:

Firstly, there is not a political neutrality in art, neither in technology.
Actually, several theoretical contributions about the social and political
commitment of technology have been stressed (Marcuse, David F. Noble, Erik
Davis ... ...) as well as for art commitment. I suppose that this is a
healthy and unfinished debate which in fact is being intensified by
exchanges between art and techno-science. In a global world each of us has a
global responsibility, don't you agree?

Secondly, I don't think that social commitment is a justification for
overflowing our tools and ideas. Urban riots are not, on my view, social
choreographies. On the other hand, as social scientist, one may map (and
quote as a choreography) the great social movements such as the struggle
between policemen and protest leaders - actually, on this case, choreography
is a metaphor of the reality. I wonder if considering riots as social
choreographies will turn social movements into a political emptiness
condition. I am trying to remember my own experience as a young student
living under a dictatorship (in Portugal before 1974) and the struggles with
the police and the forbidden actions I was briefly evolved with. I was not a
performer, I was not aware of being a performer, but I was just a body
sharing with other bodies a struggle against powerful bodies and weapons
with an aim: to gain democracy - actually, to gain the opportunity to be a
free performer.

And a note:

There is new dance communities emerging on the web, as for example,
"MaPaD2". This platform was born in Salvador da Bahia and is including
Portuguese and Spanish speaking artists and scholars that share and explore
the "poéticas tecnológicas" (Ivani Santana).

Best regards
Daniel