[dance-tech] Re: the social in social choreography

  • From: Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:56:18 +0000

hi all

thanks for the first responses to our January discussion (test-phase)

Suzon wrote

Bals modernes, year10 formal*, thrill the world event (with the thriller
dance), tankman tango, common people dance project, dance battle....? is
this 'social'?

*Year 10 formal is a kind of a school formal ball, an institution in
australia and NZ (and I think also in USA ?).

I guess i did not directly think of the wider range of social dance, and the
various variations (in hip hop and street dance and Parkour sense) of
contemporary movement unconfined to the stage, when i reported from the visual
arts domain (the museum) and its staging of participatory events or relational
architectures -- I mentioned the photographer performing photography and the
historical retrospective on the Fluxus artist because these seemed interesting
examples of curated events stepping beyond the visual art object frame (which
one could argue is a simular frame to dance video and dance film festival
programming/curating) and involving me directly, as it happened in recent
exhibitions such a MOVE: Choreographing You  (Hayward Gallery, Southbank
Center, London).  MOVE is a particularly quaint example of the fine arts trying
to incorporate dance (and dance-technology, to a small extent) into the museum
as a form of social sculpture........

but I also think Charlotte's reference to the time arts and the medium of time
is interesting in this context...... see her response to my posting (below)

Charlotte Gompertz wrote

(Someone paused in exactly the minute when George Macunias chose to
show us black leader; and the following 3 minute film showed nothing
but the numbers counting to three minutes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6..........). lovely,  but I found myself alone in the space with no
one wanting to watch time being counted.>>

I would suggest you were not alone ..... you were present with the
remediation of 3 minutes, in essence the remediation had its mediator.

Does social have to mean more than solo? What is the ontology of social?
Lotti

one might have thought that the assumption of a "sociality"  (the social of
social choreography, beyond refering to a space such as the city or "public
space")  or a social body or organism (such as 'society') involves a multitude,
not one single solo body.
the social for me involves the political and social spheres of community and
localities organized to some extent through social conventions, institutios,
the law, civil rights, rules of the game, ethics, and various bodies of social
and infrastructural organization that might include schools and hospitals,
electricity and telephone companies, and businesses where i go to get food and
services, and territories of leisure etc  where i go to and meet others
pursuing similar tasks and needs,  etc.

Fluxus artists perhaps thought they were performing into social realities more
directly, even if now they are "collectible" in museums, where curators try to
display their non-art or anti-art gestures?  Does the "de-corporification" of
art, the emphasis on its relational, institutional, ecological nature imply
that movement can be seen/understood as a social category not bound by its
affiliation to the "performing arts (theatre etc) and not recuperated by the
fine arts and its archives?   Alan Badiou of course speaks of "singularities,
particularities, the self of/in the community", and thus one might think that
the solo, the self; is inevitably a part of the social, no doubt. it performs
to others by necessity.

Has anyone heard of this -- "imaginaryfriendproductions"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGeFEQrybE

a fascinating kind of videoparkour..... but can you parkour in video?

greetings
Johannes Birringer