[dance-tech] Re: shared community

  • From: "Matt Gough" <mpgough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 21:31:03 +0000

hello all

and thank you johannes for your response

a hyperlink is a 'one way' connection, as is the 'download' such
instances are not social or community networks, but locations or
addresses. it is the people behind the blogs and network sites that
make up the socio-comunal.

in many face to face conversations i have had, people articulate there
reasons for subscribing to the list as 'staying in the loop' or 'just
in case ...' rather than a inherent 'community' interest.

"i often feel the blogs tend to be selective in the diaristic and self
exposing manner in which they are sometimes constructed, and I don't
have a knowledge to know whom they address, who are blog buddies or
social network partners regularly reading each other's blogs and
commenting on each other"

yes, but the same is also true of posts on this list, past .. present
and future. a look through the archive reveals list 'buddies' and
allegiances (therein lies the politics). and of course, 'partners' and
'buddies' extend to journals, books etc ...

the profile page of users (if filled out with good info) on social
networks or blogs (usually 'about' or 'colophon') will give you some
of the context you desire. that is one of the things a new site could
add to the forum/list.

it would be wrong to assume that i don't see value in the list, as i
said here, back in october 2006:

"my desire for this list is discussion and debate, which has to be
better than a notice board for events. i think thats what killed the
last dance-tech list".

the list does seem elitist when a new person posts and waits days for
a response to a 'basic' question. like regular members think it is
beneath them. also, we need have the frequently asked questions
available publicly ... so all can see the discourse around them.

the newcomers are the lists future, and hopefully the future of
dance-tech (the list is already part of it's history). without 'new
blood' the 'list' is decrepit, putrefying. the content on the list
simply becomes petrified  (theory is not monolithic but fluid)

thank you for clarifying the structure of the list, re moderators. i
think that brings some clarity to the discussion and routes forward.

the list can move to greater levels, alongside new modes of
engagement. but only if the community takes and interest and
contributes ...

best

matt