[dance-tech] Re: shared community

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:15:35 -0000

hi all:

Sarah Jane asked:

Could this list accommodate compact and global laboratories in which
operational test-beds for advancing new ideas, performance platforms and
performer-audience spectra's occur and provide conversations in which in-depth
analysis can begin before, or as, artists publish to live audiences,
independent blog sites and on the conference circuit? >>

I see no reason why not. It is an ambitous project, but as Marlon, Matt, and
other point out, it is already happening and the convergence of writing/posting
and online performance or upload of media and use of hyperllinks must be
considered part of the evolving social or community networks.  If I said
anything about my lack of time to visit many blogs, i meant it as simply that,
a lack of time to read everything, I am not sure that any criticsm of blogs was
intended.  I did perhaps imply that i often feel the blogs tend to be selective
in the diaristic and self exposing manner in which they are sometimes
constructed, and I don;t have a knowledge to know whom they address, who are
blog buddies or social network partners regularly reading each other's blogs
and commenting on each other.>>

Could this list actually embrace dance and technology in its very form and
function?

Could you expand on that a little, Sarah Jane, and tell us more what this would
look like and involve?   (Are you refering to uploading dance/net pieces or
video or audiovisual compositions, research experiments or installations?  are
you refering to telepresence and performing together or using the skype or
telematic space as a live forum / colloquium space, in what sense are you still
thinking of dance as physcial form, or are you thinking molecular?)

<<
I agree with Johannes and Marlon, that this forum could benefit from rigorously
coordinating participant research and active rejuvenation.body, space, time and
technologies appropriate to each type of enquiry loosely associated with
dance-tech. I apologise for my lapse in concentration too but I must ask again
what are the terms of dance-tech engagement really about? Moreover, how could
the dance-tech list evolve like/ with/ or as the art?

you are asking the right questions, and I may not be able to answer them, as I
am not working in social networking on the net in the manner in which some or
many of you might.  I do not have the time to rigorously coordinate or steer
monthy discussions (as in soft_skinned_space)  or compile a calendar of events
or systematic postings of idea pieces, papers, announcements, workshops,
publications, concerts, etc,  but would be happy to contribute or help as i
sometimes do or have done in the past.

I also wish to point out that this dance-list is a rejuvenated list Mark
Coniglio and myself set up for the dance-tech community as a public forum
(maillist) when the older list stopped being active.  There is no moderation on
this list, in any exclusionary sense whatever, everyone can post who subscribes
to the list.  the subscription is open, and when it was launched in 2005, in
conjuntion with the Digital Cultures Lab/festival at Nottingham.

To start with a strictly defined e-list formulae is to embed presumptuous
limitations onto our discussion...so bring on your samples, 'casts, beams and
streams I say, and reinvigorate the terms of engagement. >>

If the e-list formula is selective or presumptious, and if most participants in
the community have stopped caring about a maillist, which is what i understand
Matt to be saying in his wonderful and most welcome critiqiue, then maybe it
has served its time and is ready to be let go of.   I said that there was no
plan to abandon it because members of the communuty of subcribers have used it
as a bulletin board, and if a good number of subscribers like it that way, then
it's not appropriate to complain (as I think Matt argues) about its manner of
persistence.

Moving outside of the "hive", as Sara Jane proposes, is probably overdue; as
Matt argues that some of us may be sitting on our sofas waiting for the news to
come to us rather than actively making it and beaming and streaming it.

I am certainly interested in the questions, the products, the actions and
processes at play here and I am keen to have a discussion on what dance-tech
might mean in 20 years time. For instance, who is choreographing for the
elderly, the unborn, space-farers and nanobots? What will dance-tech become
outside of the hive I wonder? And have you seen Holmes comet>>

yes. i sometimes go to the NASA site and others to look at stars. I am not sure
i have a clue what dance&technology as a field of practitioners will do in 20
years, and what will happen to the nanobots and their blogs.

I take it that my call for activity on our forum was a self-criticism.
I accept Matt's analysis:  "If this is 'the forum' for the
community then something is wrong if they are not making their voices heard."

If more lively and more visual and active sites/networks are being spawned now,
i'm happy to support that.  Anyone who wants to moderate debate or resarch
projects can do so here too, there is no restriction.  (I don;t know the number
of subscribers to this list, i think it is a few hundred, it was always set up
to be generative), and the list can be moved to new / active coordinators, why
not.  Mark and I  don't own anything here, it's not Second Life either.    I
sense in your posting, Matt, that you think there is something decrepit,
putrefyingand exclusivist/elitist in this forum.  What are <<the  (political)
agendas that run as an undercurrent>> ?

on to the greater levels, then.

regards
johannes birringer