[dance-tech] Re: sensors and choreographies

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:48:20 +0100

Hello all:

thanks for these very interesting responses,  I enjoyed Marlon's thoughtful and
provocative statements and questions, in particular,
and you are also surely right, Kate, in what you say about not needing to, or
not wanting to classify "choreography" in terms of a particular technology used.

My responses are brief:
1. >> at this point  we are  constantly designing simulations (with
choreography+multimedia as  simulation) and the main change is  if the design
is a   closed or open  system....We think  more about  experiential
design---....
and
>>On the theoretical or epistemological level:   We have reached an awareness
>>of the recursive "designing" of designing.>>

this is very good, and I agree. The emphasis is on process of designing (and
the whole picture), and on  the process  of making, using and re-making, as you
say, Marlon

2.  >>....work is interactive installations based on video tracking. She would
not refer to her work as "video tracking art," but rather "interactive art." If
people are
considering choreography in regards to a specific system, then surely we  can't
define the choreography by just the technology employed.>>>

Indeed, agreed.

A while back though, and probably still today, we have noticed that
"interactive performance" is unspecific.  Where is the system used (on stage?
by the trained performer who is improvising or following a precise cue
structure/choreography/dramaturgy?). The main questions in these different
experiments, might be "who is interacting with whom"? Performers with other
performers using the interface or performers with the interface or performers
with performers within an interface which organises its output via
the actions of the performers?   If we abandon the notion of choreography, is
it because we have designed a work/installation or performative environment for
the "user"? who is the user?

There are conceptual and technical differences between using motion/camera
tracking and using sensors or biofeedback devices on the body directly. When i
raised the question of whether there can be a "sensor choreography," I was
interested in finding our whether working with open or closed system changes
how we work, or "the work", and the reception of the work (can an unprepared
audience be asked to apply 14 sensors and start performing, what? interacting
with a system?  how? ).

Marlon's question about the "game" context is correct -- there are rules and
cues, but in our case ("Walhalla") there is no multiuser game since it was not
scripted for audience users or mutliple online "users."

Also, in our experiment, there is a closed system and an open system at the
same time.  I am not sure how to think "inter-action" with such a mixed system,
since the performance has a sequential structure and a huge data base organized
in a dramaturgical manner for the performer to engage and then manipulate (and
enact the real time improvisational enactments Marlon is thinking about, except
they are not improvised). This is experientual design (including the
contingencies of the webcam intrusions and unexpected events that might happen
in the remote locations that are interlinked), and yet it is not experiential
design since the performer on our stage is not "experiencing" the installation
for the first time but has rehearsed with it so that she can learn how to
understand what "prosthetic" roles her avatar-character might have in
manipulating, with her head, shoulders, pelvis, arms, hands, fingers, legs, the
various possible image movements on screen.

I am not sure that we all have so much an extensive knowledge of the
sensorimotor, cognitive, synaesthetic and emotional processes happening inside
the interface, and how these processes (as a kind of physiological and
cognitive information processing in real time/in immediacy of the technical
mediations) are perceived in terms of sense-making (i.e. the work making sense,
being understood and perhaps reflected upon by audiences and users).

"What we can say with it,"  as Kate suggests, is indeed one issue. But how do
you know what you can say with it  (i.e. involving an aesthetics of reception
and an audience that understands the particular interactivity on experiential
and semantic levels)?  and is the work ("conceptual dance") able to reflect on
the saying and how it is said?  Can it reflect on the system-character?  How
does improvisation relate critically to  "conceptual dance"?  Are they not
contradictions in terms?

Or is it enough to be solipistically movatared (I am referring to Stelarc's
"Movatar") in the interface, involuntarily doing things you don't know you are
doing while you enjoy the self-stimulation?

Interaktionslabor
http://interaktionslabor.de