[dance-tech] Re: london dance film festival / critical debate / postchoreography

  • From: Marlon Barrios Solano <unstablelandscape@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 09:33:24 -0500

Hello,
I don't have a lot of time to write more  specific response right now.
I think that we need to create our own site as a social network. That will allow us to feel a more face to face interconnected distributed dialog. That technology will allow us to create "groups", post performances, embed videos, and our users will be able to visit their areas or groups and review different levels of discussion. I also propose to widen the focus to "new media and performance" or embodied performance and computation,
I am willing to set it up. ans
What do you think?
More thoughts later.
Marlon

On Nov 3, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Johannes Birringer wrote:

Hi all

couldn't agree more with what Doug and Hélène are saying here.

What i regret, of course, is that there is indeed very little critical and sustained debate, even here, on new works or on festivals and curatorial frameworks.... or relations for screen dance or new dance involving screens/projections or developing mixed reality performances. There are a host of new issues that have arisen, perhaps not necessarily for choreography-for-camera- productions (screendance), but for "choreography" or postchoreography as such, for capture technologies, for movement as digital (data) processing, for play/performance in virtual environments or worlds (Second Life has become a screen world too, and I see performances happen therein), for dance with wearables (wearable screens and flexible materials, garments, surfaces, media skins, architectures), within the digital and real-time processing worlds, within networked tele-plateaus.

I don't think there is much debate here on these pages, anymore. Our maillists have become feeble bulletin boards, occasional news items, announcements, and the dance-tech list also is in such a strange lull, a silent phase of no debate or exchange of viewpoints (last summer, Mark Coniglio invited feedback to his latest video/performance/site specific project, but I think the piece was shown/displayed on a blog site or YouTube and commentators left their viewpoints there-else, ; i think Marlon Barrios Solano also mentioned to our community a few times that he had done intereviews, and that was very informative and helpful and is to be commended, but I think these interviews and podcasts then are stored or displayed on blogs , and our attention and our reading/writing/communicating further dissolved/dissiciated and distributed. (I seldom read blogs any more as i have simply not time to follow up all the blig links i get sent),.

so debate and controversy, as we still had it in the summer and fall of 2006 after a series of postings, has now been replaced by acquiescence? and our globalized standards of promotional etiquette (.."superlative descriptions"...)? --

i can't quite make sense of the silence either, except that demands on our time and on production / R&D / and research (and on writing the superlative press releases and writing the grants to have funds to make something can be released and superlatived) have increased ..

surely there are planty of issues to discuss, and new workshops, international labs, festivals and encuentros, as well premieres of new works are happening all the time -- announcements of interesting gatherings in Portugal and Spain just reached us.

After the Moves Screen Choreography Conference in Manchester (June 2007), i had also suggested to Simon and others that it would be good to have a review of the conference and the festival, so others who were not there, as well as the participants, could share some critical reflections on what was said and presented. There were some highlights, and some weak points as well, and the conference had an academic feel to it that surprised me -- could have been the environment. Universities lecture rooms tend to have a strange effect on art, and on dance, Has any review been forthcoming? Could we hear a counterreview of the festival (review) that sparked Doug's reply?

regards

Johannes Birringer
DAP Lab / Dans Sans Joux
West London