[dance-tech] hello again!

  • From: jamie jewett <jewett18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: johannes.birringer@xxxxxxxxx, dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:41:55 -0800 (PST)

Greetings Johannes!

Thank you again for the bibliographic references you sent me.

I was wondering who is publishing your new book as I would very much like to go
ahead and order it.

I am also excited by this discussion of Dance and Technology History - I have
been thinking that creating a website/data base that could bring together as
much of a timeline as possible would be a great thing to do - both for me
personally as part of my PhD work but also as a global resource for all...

We are also working towards creating a conference at Brown two years from
April...

One question I am considering is the creation of something like the Performance
Studies International organization as an academic and aesthetic union of
interested persons.  You mentioned recently that when the Dance Tech
site/organizing body was reconvened there was no clear or mutually agreed upon
sense of what should be created and as such it just sort of drifted away or
dissolved.  But perhaps it might be good to re-initiate the conversation...  Of
course you are one of the most involved and visible players in our little world
and I wonder what you think about such an organization - would it be helpful?

It seems to me, as always, that one of the issues in our field is the problem
of accessing information - what has happened historically, what is happening
now and so on.

For example - you mentioned this new book is addressing current streams in the
field which is quite exciting - of course the technology involved continues to
grow at a rate that is impossible to keep up with, particularly in any sort of
reflective way.  However, I think that the conceptual and aesthetic ideas in
the use of such technologies tends to be more of a contested area - as
illustrated by your own recent post regarding The Troika Ranch review and
others.  This is one of the areas that I think we would all benefit from
greatly by having some sort of organization  and or resource as I mentioned
above...

For example, reading the Tanz und Technology / Dance and Technology book this
last summer seemed completely relevant and helpful as, of course, is a general
study of dance history for choreographers, dancers, and thinkers in the field.
So how to support a similar thing in our particular area...

Anyway, I realize that these two things are a bit conflated â perhaps that is
good.  I seem to have some energy to relate to this right now and thought I
might serve as a bit of a resource to all in this way.

I would love to have your thoughts on these things and to think about how and
if there is a good way to collaborate and or create a small group to work on
these issues.

best
jamie