[dance-tech] Re: capturing heart rate monitor signal

  • From: "Kema " <kembodee+dtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:25:22 +0000

Hi Frieder,

Thanks for your great reply!!, I am working in Windows and Isadora
does accept OSC transmissions.

Have you got some diagrams or instructions to help me make the
equipment you have described?

thanks

Kema

On 11/11/06, Frieder Weiss <frieder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tech talk:

Polar belts send a 5kHz burst signal as a magnetic field. You can attach a
little coil to the belt, amplify the signal and send that to a computer
sound input. You can even use a wireless audio transmission. You receive a
short 5kHz tone for each heart beat. If you are moving, you will receive
some artefact clicks which are not actual heartbeats. Some beats might also
be missing.

The second system i built was a bit more high-tech. A polar receiver (OEM
equipment you can buy from Polar) picks up the signals from the belt,
calculates the heart rate and sends it as a two byte, 4800Baud serial port
signal. I made a little box with that receiver and attached a Bluetooth
serial transmission link. I don't know whether Isadora supports input from
serial ports. I wrote a software (Windows only) to monitor the heartrate,
visualize and filter it and send out OSC messages.

Frieder Weiss