[dance-tech] "The World of Dance Tries Out New Moves on the Web.."

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:19:12 -0000

hello all:

happy New Year!!

The New York Times ran an article last week that you might find interesting:

"The World of Dance Tries Out New Moves on the Web"
(by Julie Bloom,  29 December 07),

it is available at:   http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/arts/dance/29danc.html

and discusses not only the increasing use dance artists are making of the Web
and YouTube ("....For proof of dance?s mainstream popularity on the Internet,
look no further than YouTube...."), including companies putting their work
(repertoire) online {i suppose in video excerpts), but also mentions something
interesting, namely the use of the Web to post trailer films of upcoming new
works ("..... Carefully edited rehearsals shown before each work served as
mini-trailers, possibly a sign of things to come. ...").

I wonder what some of you think about this "trailer" business and the
"mainstream popularity" that is posited here via the presence of clips on the
Web.....  I suppose it's also not without a certain irony that the NYT catches
up with some o fthese developments almost as if the paper had been listening to
the creation of the new <http://dancetech.ning.com/> - social
onlinedancenetwork.  (the dance tech website is not mentioned, however).

with regards
Johannes Birringer
www.aliennationcompany.com
Houston, TX