[dance-tech] Silent Room / Projection

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MEDIA-ARTS-AND-DANCE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:14:59 -0000

thanks, Hélène, for drawing attention to
Skoltz Kolgen and "Silent Room"

see also:
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/silent-room-perfo-01/3391963347

for a view of this work,
strangely shot as if in a room full of people, can;t make it out whether those
are real or not.

The display/projection apparatus however is captivating, immediately one thinks
of the Dumb Type aesthetic , and  also the Japanese artists' frame speed /noise
and heavy metal approach.

i wonder if you could  tell us  more about the content, or your perceptional
experience being inside the room/installation,  and what you (given the
apparatus, the constant splitting into 5 parallel or simultaneously moving
twitching screen images, and its "up" - projection) make of the choice for
5-channel projection and how this affects our viewing of the elements you
mentioned. -- as it seems you were affected by the content of the images you
thought you saw?  what could you see? how did you create a narrative or a sense
of the work for yourself?  I think your feedback might interest others who are
joining the discussion on GLOW and floor projection/down projection, and the
relations of choreohraphy to interactive graphics and what Marlon called
"digital expressionism"

Johannes Birringer

 Subject:        Skoltz_Kolgen

I saw the video work of skoltz_kolgen in Montreal and thought their
work also had a very strong element of choreography, movement,
humanness, tenderness, staging, theatricality... I saw the five
channel video work entitled "Silent Room".  Beautiful!

If you get a chance to see their work, do it.

http://www.skoltzkolgen.com/

There is some video on the site.

Hélène Lesterlin
Curator, EMPAC
empac.rpi.edu

 From:    Kate Sicchio   Sent:   Tue 2/26/2008 5:24 PM
 To:     dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Subject:        [dance-tech] Re: Glow / dance projection

I have not seen Glow 'in real time', or even the entire piece via
documentation, but I know a little about it through working with Frieder
Weiss and my own work with his Kalypso software.

I do have some question for those who have seen it... Johannes described
feeling uninvolved choreographically. Are you loosing the dancer in the
performance because of the consistantly changing responsive projection?
I wonder what would happen if there was one constant responsive
environment for the entire piece? What would the differences be as viewers?

The floor projections to me represent an exploration of how we are
trying to remove the divide we have commonly come to know in dance
performance that utilizes video projection - and that is the space
between the dancer(s) and the screen. As Johannes points out, we are
looking to explore a fusion here and we should question whether or not
we have bridged that gap any.

Also I find the birds eye view becoming more a part of my world (or
maybe I am just more aware?). Just this morning I was looking up on
google maps a satelite image of the journey I was about to undertake...

I think in response to Matt's statement that 'real time tracking is to
free the dancers...' may not relate to Kalypso as much as other
softwares or perhaps there is less being fixed in Kalypso. Yes, this
material is confined to what happens in the camera lens, but it is not
confined to pre recorded material. Kalypso is almost solely based on the
changing of pixels in a live feed scenerio. I've found a big difference
in approaching this as a maker of work. I feel myself moving from a more
narrative filmic approach and into what I would describe as expressive.
I am concerned less about cinematic conventions which can be triggered
and have moved into a more painterly frame of mind.  So maybe we are
freeing something, even if it is not the dancer from the camera...

Kind Regards
Kate