[dance-tech] Sensordance, interactive game, webcam dramaturgy #2

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:07:31 +0100

 report #2

I n t e r a k t i o n s l a b o r 2006
Coal Mine Göttelborn [Germany]

Sensordance, interactive game, webcam dramaturgy.

Dear all,
after the last posting, no debate started up, but a few artists contacted me
directly. I also remembered the IRCAM workshop on CHOREOGRAPHIC COMPUTATIONS,
and perhaps a report from that workshop might help us to engage in a little
conversation here.  I quote from their announcement:

>>This workshop will focus on new innovations combining motion capture and
>>computer-based techniques with choreography and performance, an area in
which an international group of artists and researchers has been breaking new
ground. The software artists and programmers involved are exploring a
range of heterogeneous computer concepts and approaches from agent-based
aesthetics to the development of new tools and pathways to support
collaborative composition ..... Through  ..close collaboration with ..
choreographers .. a shared understanding of movement and gesture is evolving to
support the application of complex algorithmic procedures to equally complex
choreographic creation.>>

In comparison to this statement, I now want to offer a few different viewpoints
(abbreviated); a longer discussion is published on the "THEORIE" pages of our
website:
http://interaktionslabor.de/lab06/index.htm    > "Theorie >  no. 6 commentary
on the aesthetic/technical context of the lab

1.   "choreography" and "computation" indicate distinct systems which do not
know each other  (if we follow Niklas Luhmann's theory of self-organizing
systems).

2.   Interaction (interacivity) is believed to couple these systems
structurally.

      I cite one of our lab members (P.Chagas):

>>>The discourse of interactivity stresses the embodiment of information, the
>>>material interface between bodies and digital machines and the emergence of
>>>the transmedial cognitive and affective experience.

Embodiment or enaction is opposed to the idea of representation, which has been
the paradigm on informatics and cybernetics of the first order  and is still
referenced in research on artificial intelligence. The enactive approach views
cognition as embodied action, as a structural coupling between systems that
reflect each other?s histories and make possible the emergence of a world.
Embodiment is the domain of interactions between autonomous systems that are in
principle closed and communicate only through self-reference but can undergo
transformations when structurally coupled. This domain of interactions is the
being-in-the-word of cognition. It cannot be reduced to the notion of body as a
physical entity, such as the structure of bones and muscles or electronic
circuits. >>>

3.  I suggest it would be fascinating to compare Troika Ranch's new work "16
(R)evolutions", with the choreography and animated set design of Cloud Gate
Dance Theatre's "Cursive".
In "Cursive II" , the dancers seem to become calligraphy, their movements are
like calligraphy and are tightly structured and "drawn" (representational); in
"Wild Cursive"  the complex movement choreography is closer to improvisation,
open and unpredictable, as the downward flow of the ink poured  on the huge
rice paper screens. The interaction between movement and ink is an imaginative
one.

In Troika's performance, the digital "calligraphy" is composed in real time
from the motion-tracked/captured movement of the dancers themselves: the
dancers interact with the computational system and, so to speak, co-com-pose
the digital graphical visualization.

4.  In our current work, "See you in Walhalla,"  there is choreography but it
is not choreography.. There is no co-com-position. There is real-time editing.

I suggest that with wearable technologies (sensors) we enter a new phase of
creation where "sensor choreography" is not possible strictly as organization
of bodies in space and time, nor in inter-action with computation.

When I speak of "wearing the film,"  I try to draw attention to an enactment
which both incorporates a range of movement actions and techniques (e.g.
release technique, isolations, but also a "game animation technique" for real
dancers) while at the same time igniting and excorporating biofeedback (muscles
controlling data signals and thus digital image movement and graphics) and
responding, proprioceptively to the immersive image-movements (digital film
projection) and the live streams from the webcams which bring other remote
actors into the polyrhythms of the tele-present scene.

Arguably, the dancer cannot follow a choreography, or make instantaneous
decisions how to "control" image-movement (using 14 sensors), and react to
human-to human interface action via webcams all at the same time. Nor can the
enactment be said to be in control of computational programming
[gesture-control]  if there are numerous contingencies (such as the live
streams and anatomical dispersion of sensors) built into the scenography which
drives or impels the interaction.  The inter-action, in this case of the
Walhalla game, is not with the game engine or with algorithms, nor with real
remote dancers or the virtual cities (digital film, realist as well as
abstract), but with tele-actions (telepresence).

5.  Wearable design-performance thus opens up possibilities for "real-time
intimate transductions" , and we need to begin to define, aesthetically, what
we mean by such transductions and whether they have anything to do with dance
or choreography, rather than constituting a new medium.

regards

http://interaktionslabor.de
director, Johannes Birringer

Blvd der Industriekultur, 66287 Quierschied-Göttelborn
Germany