please forward this e-mail
please excuse cross postings
VideoDance is back in town!
After one year's break, VideoDance is back to blow your minds!
VideoDance2007 will take place in Athens: May 4-11, 2007
the film programme will be screened in Thessaloniki: May 4-9, 2007
VideoDance started seven years ago as an international dance film festival, but soon it widened up to include more kinds of experiment on movement and the moving image. Celebrating this year its 7th edition, it welcomes your entries on dance films, experimental film using movement as its main material, performance, video-performance, video-installations and live improvisation on image and sound.
VideoDance is a festival presenting a showcase of the latest experiments on media and movement or, in other words, at the crossroads of visual arts, enhanced cinema and performing arts. The festival is considered to be a thought provoking place of encounters between artists from different backgrounds and the audience.
The screenings, the main festival axis, consist a showcase of films from all over the world presented in thematic programmes. Non-narrative experimental films are being screened along with dance-based films. As far as it concerns dance films, programming is focused on themes and on the special relationship between movement based art and the audiovisual media. Special screenings present archival material on the history of movement and the moving image as it has been preserved on film during the 20th century.
Retrospectives like those on the works by Maya Deren (2003), by Shirley Clarke (2004) or by Ed Emshwiller (2005) give the Greek audience an opportunity to contact the first attempts of the experimental non-narrative cinema to use the movement as its main source.
The live media events zone includes video-performances, performances, live improvisation with sound and image, and other experimental art works involving media and performing arts.
During the festival video-installations related to the film programme themes are exhibited.
A few details about VideoDance
- VideoDance was founded by its actual artistic director, Christiana Galanopoulou.
- It is funded and organised since 2000 by the Thessaloniki International Film Festival (www.filmfestival.gr), one of the major film institutions in Greece, part of the Greek Ministry of Culture.
- The festival is non competitive and non-commercial.
- However, it supports and encourages the production of dance films in Greece, through a funding scheme, project|exchange.
- Over the past six years, more than 500 recent and formerly produced films from all over the world have been screened in several venues, in Athens and Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Over the past three years, more than 50 artistic projects including performances, video performances, installations and concerts have been presented during the festival.
- For information on the festival?s past editions, please click on ARCHIVE at your right in the initial page of the site.
- The festival collaborates with several dance and film international festivals, archives and cultural institutions and it is a member of the Dance and Media Festivals International Network (www.media-dance.com).
- It usually takes place in industrial spaces especially re-designed for VideoDance by young architects and designers.
Your submissions are welcome!
You may submit any kind of dance film (fiction, stage-studio recording, camera re-work, documentary, choreography for the camera etc.) but also any experimental movement based film, produced between 2004 and 2007.
You may also submit performance, video-performance and other experimental projects, installations or video-installations based on body and movement, live audiovisual improvisation on electronic music and image.
Please download the entry form and conditions of participation for VideoDance2007 attached in this e-mail or ask for them to
videodance @ filmfestival.gr
Please e-mail the form first and then send a printed copy along with your films or projects on DVD.
The deadline for film submissions is March the 10th (10/03/2007)
The deadline for project submissions is February the 20th (20/02/2007)
We are looking forward to receiving your proposals!
a festival on movement
and the moving image
attn: Christiana Galanopoulou
VideoDance artistic director
Thessaloniki International Film Festival
9, Alexandra's Av.
114 73 Athens
T: 0030210 87 06 000
F: 0030210 64 48 143
E: videodance @ filmfestival.gr