[dance-tech] Re: Performance Research Seminar at Brunel University, Nov. 21, 4pm

  • From: Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:22:28 +0000

i n v i t a t i o n   t o   a l l : :

CENTER FOR CONTEMPORARY AND DIGITAL PERFORMANCE

Brunel University
PERFORMANCE RESEARCH SEMINAR

Autumn 2012 Series

Wednesday, November  21, 2012
Gaskell Bldg 048    Drama Studio
Cleveland Rd.  Uxbridge, West London
http://people.brunel.ac.uk/dap/boiler13.html

16:oo

 Nathalie Soelmark
(Visiting Phd Researcher, University of Southern Denmark)

“Biotechnological intervention in the body”

This  presentation will offer insight into how the reproductively challenged
perform their experience with biotechnology on YouTube and includes the
screening of 2 video clips from YouTube (7-10 minutes). In what follows I am
highlighting how these performances on YouTube display active and critically
engaged individuals, in contrast to commonly held assumptions about
biotechnology and the media embedding the autonomous  individual, in
perceptions of the natural body not as an ideal but an appreciation of, and
instance on a shared materiality. New reproduction  technology may very well
erode what we believe as a shared, common and general being in relation- human
and human body- with its transparent  biotechnological alterations of just that
sensus communis. But I argue, that mediations on YouTube of experience with new
reproduction technology and the biomedical perception of the body as object and
subject as somatic themselves function as an individual expression of core
concern with and emotional involvement in consequences of biotechnological
intervention in the body e.g. dehumanization.

Nathalie W. Soelmark is a Ph.D. fellow at the Institute of Literature, Media,
and Cultural Studies, University of Southern Denmark. Her research project;
Transformation of Kinship: Mediated experiences of body, technology and kinship
is a cultural study of connections between contemporary perceptions of the body
and media-, bio-, and reproduction technology with a special focus on the
consequences of these connections for the concept of kinship. Nathalie W.
Soelmark has a Master in Culture and Communication from Southern University of
Denmark.

Entry: Open to All
All Research Seminars are co-produced with dance tech live TV and streamed
online as well as archived. In collaboration with
http://www.livestream.com/dancetechttvlive
DAPLab.TV

Please visit our website for further descriptions of the topics and the
visiting artists.

Prof. Johannes Birringer
Director, Center for Contemporary and Digital Performance
School of Arts
Brunel University
West London
UB8 3PH   UK