[dance-tech] PERFORMANCE RESEARCH SEMINAR/WORKSHOP "Turning Social Media into Creative Media

  • From: Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:06:51 +0100

i n v i t a t i o n ::

PERFORMANCE RESEARCH SEMINAR/WORKSHOP
Wednesday, October 23, 2013 , 16:oo – 18:oo
Gaskell Bldg 048    Drama Studio Brunel University, London, UB* 3PH
(off Cleveland Rd

featuring

 Joumana Mourad
(IJAD Dance Co.)

“Physical Theatre & Network: Turning Social Media into Creative Media”

This workshop/seminar explores connecting places and people with creative
expression and asks: How can the digital world help the arts break physical
boundaries? Digital technologies have changed the way we interact with the
world in ways not thought possible ten years ago. We want to change it again by
using social media as a tool to interpret and share artistic content as part of
a creative process which produces a performance. Our workshop there is “Open
space” (Bring: Smartphone, tablet, camera, laptop and loose clothes to move in.
There will be movement involved from a contemporary dance angle, however there
are other ways to participate if you don’t want to do so physically. We will be
experimenting with Facebook, Twitter, Qr codes, Google maps, cameras and camera
phones, and any other platforms you feel comfortable using.

Joumana Mourad is a dancer, choreographer and the artistic director at IJAD
Dance Company.
Joumana is of Lebanese and Argentinean origins and both cultural
influences have informed her work: her
movement language, which is a hybrid of
a range of styles such as Raqs Sharqui, physical theatre, contemporary and
neo-classical but the outcome is essentially contemporary. She is drawn towards
immersive forms for engaging her audience. Her early dance training began in
Beirut and continued at the Laban Centre, London. Following the completion of
her MA in Dance and Choreography at Middlesex University Mourad has created
productions for IJAD as well as choreographing for a diverse spectrum of
organisations that include; Jumeira Productions, Piedo Dance Company USA,
Polite Company, the National Youth Music Theatre Company and US Advertising
Agency Big Photographic
IJAD:   www.ijaddancecompany.com

Entry: Open to All

Performance   Research Seminar Coordinator: Johannes Birringer
All Research Seminars are co-produced with dance tech live TV and streamed
online as well as archived. In collaboration with
http://www.livestream.com/dancetechttvlive
DAPLab.TV:  http://dance-tech.tv/videos/daplabtv/

Please visit our website:  http://people.brunel.ac.uk/dap/boiler13.html