[dance-tech] [News] Breaking the Game - Online Symposium - immersive technology / gaming feb 16, 2006

  • From: Workspace Unlimited <newsletter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dance-tech Freelists <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:34:39 -0800

Breaking The Game

BREAKING THE GAME - ONLINE SYMPOSIUM

From March 15 - 25, 2006 Workspace Unlimited presents Breaking the Game
Symposium, a first-iteration online event that brings together
competing theorists and practitioners to debate and reflect on virtual
worlds, computer gaming, immersive technologies, and new possibilities
for artistic practice and experience. The symposium will open up the
art of game modification to the contingencies of everyday life, where
interactive technologies increasingly mediate physical spaces and human
movements in very complex and dynamic ways. The symposium themes are:
Hybridity, Overclocking the City and The Virtual as Interface to Self
and Society.

Participants will consider gaming and other virtual technologies in
relationship to building and designing cities, navigating and
experiencing urban life, constructing identities, and creating and
maintaining social interaction. The symposium encourages debate
and
discussion through multiple formats including text, video interviews,
phone blogging, images, animation, and virtual walkthroughs.  We want
the symposium to function as a workspace for testing out ideas,
developing new tools, sharing creative processes and works in
progress. Breaking the Game is a prototype for how we'd like to
initiate and develop real projects around a specific focus, connect our
own working process to the ideas and practice of others, and create
networks that facilitate and feed into further collaborative
opportunities.

For detailed information about the symposium please visit the Breaking
= the game website at: www.workspace-unlimited.org/breakingthegame

Breaking the Game symposium has three themes:

Hybridity considers new forms of art being produced within the
increasingly hybrid environment of digital and physical space, in
response to the multiplication of delivery systems and formats, and to
the changing roles of artists, scientists,
 and technologists. We will
discuss whether or not, and under what conditions, these hybrid
contexts are effecting how artists produce, with whom they collaborate,
and with what results. How are we consuming art differently and
integrating it into our lives in new ways? Finally we will explore a
variety of hybrid experiments artists are undertaking within the now
established field of video gaming and multiuser virtual environments.

Overclocking the City= proposes that we look more critically at gaming
technologies and culture as storehouses of tools for designing new
perceptual experiences and social interaction within the built
environment. Participants will debate what constitutes public space
in an electronically networked virtual world, and what forms this space
might take. We will consider how virtual worlds, which for the most
part, have been designed as autonomous environments, might have a
functioning relationship with actual places, buildings, and peopl
e in
physical locations.

The Virtual as Interface to Self an= d Society explores how the
technologies of sensing, computation, and display are incr= easingly
becoming important to how we connect to society and simultaneously
engage i= n acts of self-reflection and self-fashioning. Virtual
worlds, and particularly networked pervasive 3D environments, are
useful contexts f= or critically and imaginatively exploring how we
project our so-called self into computerized space, reconstruct it in
digital form, and= set about interacting with other reconstructed
selves. In combination with "computer software programs, rules,
commands, and networked interactiv= ity" we perform a sense of presence
to others by effectively manipulating "graphical, textual,
navigational, and audio modes that are co= ded to correspond with our
bodily senses" (Bolter). How is this self-presen= ce achieved, to
what ends, and with what effects? Participants in this sess= ion will
explore an online
 multiuser environment together that will inform the
basis for debate and discussion.

Workspace Unlimited website: www.workspa= ce-unlimited.org

Thomas Soetens, artist, Workspace Unlimited Kora Van den Bulcke,
architect, Workspace Unlimited Wayne Ashley, Independent Curator, New
York

Kind regards from the Workspace Unlimited team. To stop receiving our
newsletter: reply with your email address + name and mention "remove"
in the subject.