[dance-tech] Re: New Dance and Technology Resource Guide

  • From: "Birringer, Johannes" <johannes.birringer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 21:47:34 +0100

Hello all:

thanks, Doug, for sharing this new Resouce Guide with us, I am sure we are all
benefitting from expansion of our information network and resources!

We had a discussion about this, some while ago, and suggestions were made to
use our own resources (given the international nature of this list) to maken
sure we can (if this is desired) build resource platforms that connect all
continents, perhaps also through a few strategic links on this list's webpage,
links that provide information about events/performances,labs and conferences
in Latin America, eastern Europe, the Asian countries, Australia/NZ and Africa.

I was at a workshop this week (PACT, Essen) where in conversations with curator
Galia Dimitrova from Sofia's Interspace Media Center (Bulgaria) I was made of
aware of a number of very interesting projects that are happening there, and
which we rarely hear about.

info:  www.i-space.org

I add a couple of announcements of new works being shown in England and Germany:

(1)
--  performance:  "Miss Mobile" by Emil Hrvatin, to take place on the 7th and
8th of October at the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London, UK as part of
the programme presenting the latest projects by Slovenian artists in order to
offer a cross section of recent cultural creativity in Slovenia.
(http://www.uvi.gov.si/XLLMSlovenia).

>>Miss Mobile is an interactive performance, during which a virtual community
>>is formed together with the viewers and those who participate in the
>>performance from a distance. The latter become central protagonists of the
>>event, which problematizes modern construction of the media reality, based on
>>exposing one's intimacy in public. Miss Mobile reveals how shows like Big
>>Brother, Jerry Springer Show and Oprah Show vulgarize the notion of democracy
>>by offering everyone their own 15 minutes of fame. These highly manipulative
>>programs turn these totalitarian, panopticum-like situations into
>>entertainment and mask the elements of control, which are inherently
>>inscribed in highly developed modern societies. Miss Mobile is an event which
>>combines the elements of talk shows, quizes, multimedia art and visual
>>installations. It's a performance which turns the mechanisms of mass
>>popularity shows and their manipulative effects upside down and inside out.>>

The performance Miss Mobile is produced by Maska Ljubljana, Institute for
publishing, production and education.

(2)
"PUUR" , by WIM VANDEKEYBUS  / ULTIMA VEZ , October 6 - 9,  PACT -
Choreographic Center NRW, Essen, Germany

Inspired by myths and stories about the killing of infants and innocents,
Vandekeybus creates a timeless, fictional, yet universal story about living in
isolation, the alienation of the outside world and about loss and the pain that
it brings. Who is the saviour of our world? Who is the prophet today and  what
does he proclaim? Is the Messiah a hero or a coward? Innovatively combining
video and film with the story that is being played out on stage, a dialogue
between reality and the virtual evolves...
(Premiere 27. May 2005, Singapore Arts Festival )>>.

info:  http://www.pact-zollverein.de/

I saw Vandekeybus's piece last night, it's 125 minutes long, and wipes you out,
A fascinating dance/ film work.

Sent: Fri 10/7/2005 1:34 AM
To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dance-tech]  New Dance and Technology Resource Guide

I've just launched a new Dance and Technology Resource Guide with about 200
links:

http://greatdance.com/danceblog/dancetechresource.php

I'm sure there are many more resources to add. Once you take a look at the
guide, please feel free to recommend new links, or edits to existing links.

Thanks to Johannes Birringer and the others who created this list for making
this resource available.

Doug Fox
doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://greatdance.com
http://greatdance.com/danceblog

This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private and
confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please reply to
this email to highlight the error.  Opinions and information in this email that
do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be
understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check
that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is in keeping
with good computing practice.