[dance-tech] Merleau-Ponty Circle Call for Papers

  • From: Susan Broadhurst <Susan.Broadhurst@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "athenews@xxxxxxxx" <athenews@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:29:42 +0000

CALL FOR PAPERS

Please distribute widely

40th Annual Meeting of the International Merleau-Ponty Circle

October 1-3, 2015

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Worcester, Massachusetts

THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY BODY:

THINKING MERLEAU-PONTY IN AND OUT OF TIME

The present era is animated by unique political and technological landscapes
that affect the ways we experience and think about our own bodies and the
bodies of others. The focus of this interdisciplinary conference is to
investigate the varied ways that Maurice Merleau-Ponty’s phenomenological
philosophy speaks and does not speak to our twenty-first century bodies and the
ethical, social, scientific, artistic, and existential challenges that situate
and enliven them. Interrogating this theme thus leads us to consider the ways
that Merleau-Ponty’s thought is ahead of its time, tied to its time, and beyond
time and context. More important, these questions ask us to explore the
intimacy between our own bodies and the body of our time—that fully material
zeitgeist that is our present, yet also holds our past and future, our regrets
and possibilities. This three-day congress will include presentations from
approximately twenty-five scholars working in a variety of disciplines, an art
exhibition on the conference theme, opening and closing receptions with musical
performances, and myriad opportunities to engage in conversations about
Merleau-Ponty’s place at the dawn of the twenty-first century.

The keynote speakers for the conference are Etienne Bimbenet (Université Jean
Moulin – Lyon III) and Sean Kelly (Harvard University), and plenary session
speakers include Susan Broadhurst (Brunel University), Stefan Kristensen
(University of Geneva), Leonard Lawlor (Penn State University), and George
Yancy (Duquesne University).

For a detailed description of the conference theme and events, submission
guidelines, and travel information, please see the conference website:
http://www.wpi.edu/academics/hua/news/mpcircle.html

Call for Papers and Call for Art:
http://www.wpi.edu/academics/hua/news/callforpapers.html

PAPER SUBMISSION DEADLINE: June 1, 2015

ART SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 1, 2015

For questions and further information, please contact the conference director,
Jennifer McWeeny at jmcweeny@xxxxxxx.

Jennifer McWeeny, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Philosophy

Worcester Polytechnic Institute