[dance-tech] March Discussion

  • From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:58:51 +0100

Hello Everyone,

this discussion is fascinating, thankyou to everyone who is contributing
examples of their work and information about their practice.

the idea of using technology to share the creative process with the
audience was the subject of a recent audience development research
project undertaken by myself as artist, Tanja Raman as choreographer
(together we are known as TaikaBox) and MOON - a digital design studio.

we created a hybrid system (choreographic/digital) that enables an
audience to become co-creators in a dance experiment. using a custom web
app, they share stories that become the source material for what happens
on stage. using a combination of improvisation, choreographic processes
and google, we guide them through the creation of movement sequences
based on their stories, soliciting their choices regarding how the
movement and environment develop. we relinquish a certain amount of
control over the creative process, and - hopefully - the audience feels
engaged, educated and stimulated by what they experience.

the project website is at http://www.pleaseswitchon.com/

one iteration of the research was a one-hour event performed
simultaneously for a studio audience, and online collaborators who were
presented with the same tools as the in-house audience. the online
experience is archived at http://stream.pleaseswitchon.com/

all the best,

John Collingswood
TaikaBox