[dance-tech] Invitation to submit abstract

  • From: Douglas Rosenberg <rosend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Douglas rosenberg <rosend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:11:44 -0500

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to let you know about a new and exciting book project for Oxford University Press: The Oxford Handbook of Screendance Studies. As a colleague who has done important and compelling work in the field, I believe your writing could be a valuable addition to the Handbook

The Oxford Handbook of Screendance Studies is intended to be the first edited volume to offer a comprehensive investigation of the histories, practices, and critical and theoretical foundations of the global landscape of screendance. It will be essential reading for all those interested in hybrid forms of dance and the moving image, including film and video-makers, dance artists, screendance artists, academics and writers, producers, composers, and the wider interested public. Furthermore, I hope that The Oxford Handbook of Screendance Studies will become an invaluable pedagogical resource for researchers and professionals in the field, as well as a central classroom text for screendance courses.

I invite you to submit an abstract of 300-500 words for a new and/or previously unpublished essay (8,000-10,000 words, including footnotes). In some cases, previously published essays or articles may be considered for inclusion; please indicate in your abstract the publication name and date.

Essays may address any of the following topics. You may also suggest your own topic, providing that it contributes to the goals enumerated in the description of the Handbook above.

Histories

·      The Historical Roots of Screendance

· Futurism, Cinema and Modernism: Fin de Siècle Culture and the Dancing Body

·      Mid-Century Modernism: Screendance and the Modern Object

·      The Legacies of Maya Deren, Dance, and Screen Space

· Dancing for the Digital Age: Cunningham, Ghostcatching, and Dancing

Ephemera

Theories

·      Queering the Screen: Framing a Critical Discourse

· Curating the Screen: Festivals, Streaming Media, and Public Access

·      Ontologies and Phenomenologies of Screen Space

· Screendance and the New Futurism: Social Media and Screenic Bodies

·      Race, Gender, Privilege, and Screendance

Practices

·      Choreography and Screens: Translation and Migration

·      Editing the Dancing Body

· Hybrid Spaces: Popular Dancing, YouTubing, and Appropriation in Screendance

·      Discerning Choreographic Sensibility on Screen

·      Writing Screendance: Extending the Discourse

Please email me at rosend@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you are planning to submit an abstract, so that I may better anticipate potential contributions. Deadline for abstracts is November 15, 2012. I will reply with a decision by December 1, 2012.

The Oxford Handbook of Screendance Studies will be a refereed publication. One of the aims of the Handbook is to raise the bar in terms of the level of critical debate and writing in the field; to that end it is crucial that the essays be accurate, lucid, and also theoretically and historically sound. If your abstract is selected, I will request your completed essay by February 1, 2013.

Thank you for considering this invitation. Please don’t hesitate to raise any questions or concerns. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Sincerely,

Douglas Rosenberg, Editor

Professor of Art, University of Wisconsin-Madison