[dance-tech] Re: Ikeda/Supersymmetry

  • From: Michele Danjoux <michele.l.danjoux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nick rothwell <nick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:10:56 +0100

Hi Nick,

I guess these artist residencies at CERN are dance-related as
choreographers such as Gilles Jobin have also taken part in CERN's
international arts programme: http://arts.web.cern.ch/gilles-jobin

I actually met the person who created and directed this programme (
http://arts.web.cern.ch), Ariane Koek very recently when I was visiting
HEAD in Geneva. The programme has 3 strands: Collide @ CERN artists
residencies, Accelerate @ CERN artists residencies, and visiting artists.
Ariane was actually presenting on award winning fashion designer Iris Van
Herpen's collection *Magnetic Motion *produced as a result of her time
spent at CERN. Her collection was visually quite stunning and the review in
Vogue by Suzy Menkes the collection presented at Paris Fashion Week stated:

"Magnetic Motion is the title that this designer, steeped in scientific
knowledge, called her collection."

You can find the pdf of this article on the CERN website if you're
interested: http://arts.web.cern.ch/fashion-life-scientific

It seems that Van Herpen explored the interplay of magnetic forces to
influence her textile development but I'm not sure that this went beyond
stimulus for the visual aesthetics.

Best
Michèle

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Nick Rothwell <nick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not really dance-related, but there’s a bit of a dust-up kicking off over
this:

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2015/apr/23/art-respond-science-cern-ryoji-ikeda-supersymmetry

The science/art/tech. debate is pertinent here, I think.

— N.