[dance-tech] Re: How long do we linger on the edge of the subject? MDF look-back.

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:57:04 -0000

dear all:

it is spring-time now, and perhaps not too late to take a long look back to the
Monaco Dance Forum which took place in December, and then catch up with current
developments.

Personally, I wanted to say that it was great to meet all of those of you able
to attend the events at Monaco Dance Forum.  A week full of diverse programming
and several highlights, provocative and entertaining, including some
outstanding performance and several interactive installations.  There were also
a whole number of workshops  and ateliers happening, and the selected artists
who had been invited to MDF  gave presentations on their new work.  we owe
thanks to the curators and the organizational staff of the DIGITAL DANCE at
MONACO DANCE FORUM who managed to coordinate such a rich program and providing
these platforms.

 I also wish to thank (and Scott deLahunta joins me in this) all those who
actively participated in the WORKSHOPS and helped us to have exchanges and
debates. I briefly summarize the workshop structure, for those of you
interested in the programming of such an international and transcultural event:

The four Professional Workshops (10 to 5 pm Monday through Thursday) in Salle C
were seen to be occasions for professionals to raise questions, witness and
meet; and to foreground in discussion and reflection the artistic aspect of the
work of their peers (not just foregrounding the technology).

The Educational Workshops (5-6 pm Monday through Thursday) also in Salle C
following the workshops were open to a wider public and functioned as an
opportunity to become acquainted with some of the technologies and their
artistic application within dance.

The final Digital Dance award selection group made one hour Presentations in
SalleB. There were eight of these per day for four days for a total of 32
presentations. The Presentations ran parallel to the Workshops.

It should also be mentioned that there were post-show discussions and meetings,
especially involving Franck 2 Louise, who presented  KONNECTING SOULS;
Jaychandran Palazhy whose Compagnie Attakkalari Centre for Movement Arts
presented PURUSHARTHA and who came along with Kunihiko Matsuo;   &  a round
table with Trisha Brown, Curtis Bahn, Thanassis Rikakis and other members of
the large interdisciplinary team that created "22" (with Bill T Jones)  & "how
long does the subject linger at the edge of the volume."
On a different day, there was also a presentation by Paul Kaiser and Marc
Downie on "how long...;" and on the particular conceptual, design and
programming contibutions made to the creation of the stage work/choreography.

Various professional meetings took place which involved new and emerging
research partnerships.

Towards the end, a meeting was arranged to found an international network:
DIGITAL DANCE EXHANGE INTERNATIONAL NETWORK:
Monaco Dance Forum here took the initiative to initialize a network of
international cooperation and exchanges between the centers of development of
digital dance implanted in emerging countries and those of the developed
countries. Leaning on partnerships engaged in 2006, notably within the
framework of the MDF?s call to candidatures, this network will  formalize and
to concretize international exchanges in technologies applied to the
choreographic performances and to favor the distribution of the works. The
concerned works will  arise from the initiative of the partners from emerging
countries and be coproduced with partners of developed countries  (under
financial shape but also, and maybe especially, in the form of residences and
of transfers of technology). They can be the object of a programming in the
next MDF.

On the final day of MDF, there was an award ceremony preceded by a post mortem
discussion on the workshops, performances and installations. This was a very
good meeting for most of us, having an opporunity to discuss what we
experienced, new concerns in the community (i hesitate to say dance - tech
community, as we are much larger and diversified now), as well as
recommendations for the organisers and curators(of MDF and of events of such
international scale).

Please feel free to send us any further comments or questions you have, since
the dialogue, as always, has only just begun.

In a follow up mail, I will quote a press review (Monaco Times) detailing for
us the results of the Prizes that were awarded to artists.  We were all happy
for those who received them, and felt that they all deserved the support:   we
send our congratulations to you.

It is rare that amongst our constant hectic searches for resources, studios,
infrastructures, venues, funding,  and opportunities for new creative work, and
for research and collaboration, that we can gather, during a long week, see
exciting work & meet in daily studio workshops, be hosted on the egde of the
Mediterranean in a mild climate  and dance in the cafés at night to various
kinds of folk & retro rock,  as well as see the dynamic curatorship of awards
and supportive encouragement given to artists.

Johannes Birringer
DAP Lab, London