[dance-tech] Fw: Re: Action, Reaction, and Phenomenon

  • From: "Jeannette Ginslov" <jeannette.ginslov@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 10:43:34 -0000

hi all,

I would like to share some of my thoughts and ideas from Alva Noe's 'Action in Perception' (2004) and Steve Dixon's 'Digital Performance' (2007) that seem to relate to these postings. I agree with Yvon that we need to find a language of the body, experiential, not purely of the eye/mind and bring it back into the foreground as "its anatomical materiality is rarely described since this is far less important than the psychological, political, and cultural inscriptions and reconstitutions enforced upon it." (Dixon). A language that includes the neuroscientific, a "language of touch and hearing" in conjunction with a cartesian/ocularist discourse interests me as this could possibly start this re-invention.

Up until now Dixon states that academic discourse by its very nature utilises a logical cartesian approach in its descriptions of the virtual body and disembodiment. It assumes to describe the experience of the body that the perceiving experience when becoming 'other' or transformed or disembodied. Dixon reminds us that the virtual body seen by the receiver's eye may be a transformative body but the actual body of the sender/viewer is not transformed and s/he is not disembodied and metamorphosed. "Bodies embody consciousness; to talk of disembodied consciousness is a contradiction in terms". (Dixon) The image seen is just that - "seen". It is this relationship that reinforces the mind/body split/duality we are all working so hard to dismantle.

there is a need to reinforce the body's discourse but could/should include an ocularist perspective (?), as Noe argues that "perception and perceptual consciousness depend on capacities for action and thought....touch not vision, should be our model for perception (as) it is not a process in the brain, but a kind of skillful activity of the body as a whole. We enact our perceptual experience." We interact with the world and have "sensations that we understand". (Noël)

Time permitting, I would love to share with a group, the experiential, the "sensation-emotion-action-reaction" and Yvon's idea of " the language of touch and hearing...the very fingertips and nerve endings to do the 'talking', the skin surfaces to do the listening, and still understand this as a form of rigour. I am particularly interested in emotion/psyche/enaction.

Jeannette

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>