[dance-tech] Re: Forum Dancetech-Ning on "How has the internet changed dance"

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 02:00:14 -0000

hello all:

(not being sure how many of you also read or visit the
http://dancetech.ning.com  discussion forum, I thought I'd follow my recent
brief remark about the New York Times article [on dance and the web] with
another post, to share some further thoughts ot stimulate debate here as well.

Comments are part of the debate on "How has the internet changed dance"... that
was started by Julie Cruse last month.  There was some dialogue, which surely
would interest these lists, and please allow me to re-link y'all to :

http://dancetech.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1462368%3ATopic%3A5961&page=1
and
http://dancetech.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=1462368%3ATopic%3A5961&page=2

Marlon Barrios Solano responded last night to a commentary i made, suggesting
that the new web-based hypertext multimedia writing (encyclopedia entries in
Wikipedia and similar collective constructions of knowledge/information and
history) provides a new avenues (and new literacies) for our international
community of dance technology artists and researchers, and that the dancetech
website and its various blogs and forum discussions also builds , or could
build an "aggregate" of critical frameworks for our productions, the teaching,
training, and dissemination and reception of digital performance and dance.

>>Marlon wrote>>
I agree  with Johannes that as practitioners and researchers we must contribute
to the development of the knowledge of the field making a methodological and
systematic effort to leave "digital traces" of the many diverse processes that
constitute the complex practices of this field (a filed that is actually also
moving its boundaries).
 We are using many on-line technologies to document and market our processes
and products such as blogs, project websites, etc. This site is available as an
important aggregation and SHARING.

 In addition to this, I suggest that have to embrace a more "crowdsourcing"
approach: take advantage of the internet to (with a bottom-up approach)
progressively and collectively generate the critical knowledge. It won't feel
linear or "book like" or traditional academic ways of centralizing knowledge.
Most of the times will be hints, cues, new names, more and more images, videos
and video games and less text because "literacy" is changing also. Innovation
will come from the periphery, because there not a unique center...so is a
different dance...more improvisational...

 I added most of the Johannes links to a wikipedia page in dance technology. I
suggest that page as an aggregator or a more linear information about dance
technology that is totally open and easy to find by the searchbots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_technology

 The only way of having a better picture of the elephant is to have access to
the impressions of the many blind people touching different parts.
 So, it is a collective effort of adding and editing...we have the technology
for it and it might demand a more optimistic and open attitude about our our
projects and ideas.
 Wiki technology and wikipedia in my opinion will help to generate and compile
our digital traces.
 what do you think?>>>>

I conclude with a response here.

hallo Marlon and all

 thanks for this reply and action taken. you raise a question that is is not
easy to answer without, perhaps, discussing what we understand knowledge to
mean, or learning (whether practice or theory), contextualization (the terrm
for frameworking that Matt Gough used), and "crowdsourcing" -- i gather you are
advocating the collaborative/community./bottom up mode of building a common
encyclopedia on the internet (hypertexted), and you refer us to WIKPEDIA and
the mode of "collaborative writing."

 I would like to solicit responses on this......

 "collective effort of adding and editing" -- yes, Wikipedia is a fascinating
phenomenon, and yet it has its own drawbacks. Anyone can start an encyclopedic
entry, whether on dance technology, ant lions, Malcolm X, or Scientology, and
so others can edit/add/adopt/extend & utilize, in the manner in which Matt was
addressing dance/technology training. We may not always know the bias or the
ideological agenda that goes into such entries and crowdsourcing, and we may
not be aware of the subjective lens and the errors that creep in and then get
extended. perhaps there is also a mechanisms of correction/revision which is
interesting if one had time to observe/follow the manner of such
"revisions"/revisionary history.

 But the idea of a collective and, hopefully, international/transcultural
historical archiving process, including images, videos, scores, press reviews,
interviews, documentations/archives and literatures on evolutions in
computational/media performance - that is a great challenge and a daunting one,
since I would still argue that the Web distributes and dissolves (it spreads to
an extent that you can't gather; it surely decentralizes, and to the point of
unrecovery....)

 I need to think more about this issue of what you call un-centered knowledge
(do you know the book by Alain Bois and Rosalind Krauss on the "informe"
[formless]?), new "literacies" (surely I agree, but i would not want to abolish
older literacies, on the contrary) and how histories are written and then
taught (where are they written/published?).

 i think again there are quite a few different and parallel modernisms and
postmodernisms in dance, and improvisation genres and highly coded dance forms
and each of these forms adapts and extends the use of technologies and,
primarily, comes also continuously into contact with parallel media/new media
production forms and social framnworks of reception that change or are modified
(The inital post here addresses the Internet -- and how the Internet has
changed the sociality , the environmental psychology in and of dance).

 The notion of an "aggregator" is very interesting, and perhaps, those who
particpate in THIS network or forum, our the new website, or the older dance
tech maillist (dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) and the new dances-screen media list (
MEDIA-ARTS-AND-DANCE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx), can all contribute to it.

 I's suggest that we announce this as a plan in the forum and here.

 //
 (about blogging, i note a new book came out that seems to have a critique at
hand about the Web, e.g. insisting that most of those opportunities boil down
to commercial matters, and that ?the Internet?s vision of ?consumers? as
?producers? has turned inner life into an advanced type of commodity.? Siegel
provides example after example of how surreptitiously this process of co-option
works, and how YouTube for example deflects attention from the social
experience of the artform, furthering what Canadian media philosopher F. Scott
Taylor has called "social autism". See: Lee Siegel, AGAINST THE MACHINE Being
Human in the Age of the Electronic Mob
 (Spiegel & Grau, 2007).
 //

 In conjunction, if the dancetech -ning network [http://dancetech.ning.com] has
a certain number of members, and the other maillists do (altogether, what would
you reckon, 250 - 300 subscribers?), then we may wish to issue a call or a note
to all those that can be reached, asking for input on the AGGREGATE. I think
250 to 300 subscribers scratches the surface, there must be a few thousands
artists around the world who are doing what we are doing. I recommend that -
now at the beginning of the new decade (2008- 2118) -- we publish a roll call
to reach as many interested practitioners and researchers as possible, (this
ought to be published, ideally, in a number of languages, and perhaps co-issued
with partners in south / central america, east asia, europe, africa,, middle
east, australia/nz and north america), informing them about this growing
network, inviting them, i think it's possible to reach mailing lists from dance
festivals and dance research organizations, and thus spread the word (another
form of crowdsourcing).

 The "AGGREGATOR" could also mean building a living archive that
consolidates/collects and para-synthesizes (hmmm, who will do this on each
location?...) knowledge drawn from recent laboratoriers and public exhibitions
-----
 so, let us say, the laboratories & festivals of the last half or so year,
including :

 -- Moves Screen Choreography Conference (Manchester)
 -- London International Dancefilm Festival
 -- CAPTURE commissions & projects
 -- EMPAC commissions and projects
 -- Reel Dance , Performance Space (Sydney)
 -- ADF (American Dance Festiva)
 -- transmediale festival Berlin [http://www.transmediale.de/site/]
 -- Post Dance (http://postdance.wordpress.com/), Chile
--  Festival de Videodanza y Medios electrónicos. México
--  Danza em Foco festival,  Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
--  Muestra de Video-Danza de Barcelona, Spain
 -- Te-Dance (Lisbon, Portugal)
 -- Movi-Lab, a-m-b-e-b 07 (Istanbul)
 -- Enaction Conference in Grenoble...
 -- ENTITY (London)
 -- Corpora in Si(gh)te, Yamaguchi Center for Arts and Media (Japan)
 -- CYNETart_07encounter
 -- VideoDanzaBA Festival Internacional de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
 -- various networked performance events (see
http://transition.turbulence.org/blog/) such
    as "Disparate Bodies: A three-way Network Performance" (SARC/Hamburg/Graz)
 -- Opensource:{video-dance} 2007 (20-24 November), Scotland
 -- EMMA Lab (Ohio, USA)
 -- 4º Taller Internacional de las tecnologías des cuerpo:
    Cuerpos Frontera esteticas y politicas en el postmodernmismo" (Madrid,
Spain)
 -- Emergent Objects (Leeds (17-19 dec)
 -- LEMUR's ReSiDeNt (USA)
 -- Video Dance Italy 2007 (Moving Virtual Bodies), 10-19 December 2007
 -- X=20.3, x(y()), x.y ? And Other Choreographic Moves (Glasgow, Scotland)
 -- montage video dance & FNB Dance Umbrella 2008 ( Johannesburg, South Africa)
 -- Impuls Tanz events (Vienna, Austria)
 -- ZKM , Panorama Festival & events (Karlsruhe, Germany)
 -- Centre des arts d'Enghien-les-Bains (France) [www.artishoc.com]
 -- INTIMACY: Across Visceral and Digital Performance (London, UK)
 -- CollectingLiveArt Symposium (London, UK)

 (I apologize to all events and event organisers whose events i did not know
about).

 If we can gather an "AGGREGATE" and get an overview of recent developments, it
might then also be possible to trace (we can contact the organisers and ask for
information) the evolution of such organizations and their commitments to
performance technology platforms, research, education and dissemination.

 It is also worth thinking ahead to all of 2008/2009. As you know, Monaco Dance
Forum (*and its digital platform*) has ended in 2006 and will not repeat, so
the biannual rhythm of this major platform for dance technology will have to be
re-placed, re-situated, perhaps, by a young start up event that can gather
steam (a mid-December event in 2008 would be great, do you know of plans under
way?) and bring practitioners from near and far together. (IDAT has a track
history and its platforms were gathered and published).

 I still think face to face encounters and workshops, in conjunction with
exhibitions of works (old and new) is an ideal format.

 Finally, the RE-creation of significant older dance works (using particular
forms of performance computing and interface design) and installations could
also be a task that digital curators in contemporary Art Centers might want to
take on, as i believe such exhibitions - with a retrospective dimension --
could be very significant

 (e.g. The MIT List Visual Arts Center offered its 2006 exhibition "9 evenings
reconsidered: art, theatre, and engineering, 1966" as a critical homage to the
original event, featuring the records of 1966 to focus on a ground breaking
link in the history of performance, art, and technology)........

 & thank you, Chris Ziegler, for the Xmas present:
 (a dvd about 9EVENINGS:
http://www.microcinemadvd.com/product/DVD/596/
 Open_Score_by_Robert_Rauschenberg.html

 I also feel (not being much online but mostly in the studio and on stage),
that research and experimentation will continue to need material data and
artefacts to be utilized in training and learning, quite in tandem with in-body
training and physically embodied technique learning. Physical embodiment is as
crucial, naturallly, for post-choreography (sorry, I bring this up again, a
nice term in started to use in 2006, i hope you like it still.....) as it is
for engineering and designing of physical interfaces and wearable computers.
When did you last see a collection of interface design artefacts? Thecla
Schiphorst's/Susan Kozel's "whisper" garment designs, anyone? Pina Bausch's
rhinozeros costume? or igloo's ghillied mocap dresses? Gretchen Schiller's
moveable screens? Bob Rauschenberg's scenographic sculptures? kondition
pluriel's storage bunker? Cena 11's robotic devices from their danceworks or
Meg Stuart's environments (did she not do one with Ann Hamilton?) --- give us a
museum and i bet you we could do a stunning dance tech installation..........

 I wonder whether (new) venues such as ICA Boston or EMPAC, ZKM, Tate Modern,
the Global Performing Arts Consortium [http://www.glopac.org/],
Trans-Media-Akademie Hellerau, Performance Space, Sydney, Critical Path Sydney
[http://www.criticalpath.org.au/], Radialsystem Berlin
[http://www.radialsystem.de/] , DTW New York, Kitchen, IRCAM, STEIM, de Waag,
Franklin Furnace, Fondation Daniel Langlois in Montréal
[http://www.fondation-langlois.org/], or others are also helping us to have
more susbtantial access to good performance libraries and collections (there
was no archive at MDF, nor at the past IDAT events).

 I certainly plan to make available my personal library (books, magazines,
journals, notes, video tapes, DVDs, audio cassettes, stage props, costumes, etc
-- the printed materials are all on performance, dance, video art, media arts,
technology, anthropology and cultural studies ) accumulated since 1980 as soon
as i stop teaching in a university, and i could imagine such collections and
similar ones to be helpful to others in the performance-tech educational sector.

 c/o Houston, TX
www.aliennationcompany.com