[dance-tech] FW: Re: theory query

  • From: Simon Biggs <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:06:05 +0000

You could toss Richard Coyne's Technoromanticism into this book-bin. Coyne
seeks to critique the whole art and technology thing through a wide ranging
and ecelectic analysis that is post-Marxist in its approach (not dissimilar
to the sort of position that Mark Poster took some years ago). Within its
scope is Marxist analysis, but he subjects that to a critique as well for he
regards (I think correctly) any specific ideological approach as part of the
subject rather than as an objective means to knowledge. That is to say,
technology can be regarded as part of an ideological discourse, as is
Marxism, and thus open to a cultural critique. Technology is not a single
discursive form nor is it in the service of any single ideology.
Nevertheless, it  will continue to be at the core of contemporary
ideological annalysis so long as it is such an integral and central element
in economic and political power (sic Foucault).

As an alternative to this approach you could also take in Mackenzie Wark's A
Hackers Manifesto, which is more partisan, written from the front-line.

Regards

Simon

On 05.11.06 07:49, "Marlon Barrios-Solano" <unstablelandscape@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>  this is Marlon. Hey Tony!
> I  would add  to the list offered by Johannes the visionary text "The Cyborg
> Manifesto" by Donna Haraway and her book "Primate Visions". I consider her
> texts very relevant  due to her background as a biologist and a science
> historian focusing we construct  and perform with "human" bodies. It is not
> directly a marxist text, sometimes called cyber-feminist. "Primate Visions"
> reminds us how science (primatology and evolutionary psychology) has helped to
> construct  "human nature"  and the ways in which they have been used  to
> justify power structures and  capitalist interests.
>
> Midnight rant from an Aging Dancer that don't want to be a Choreographer
>
> The Political Body...trained body...
> The interface is Political...
> PC
> MAC
> LINUX?
> Who is your sponsor?
> How old are your dancers?
> Are they fat?
> Do you do Pilates or Yoga? Just ballet?
> can you afford your sensors?
> See you in the festival...
> Where is Bill Forsythe from?
> yes, we are just simple projected geometries
> is motion capture dead?
> Her work has been so important for  me...we are going to co-labourate
> Are you using Max or PD?
> Which University do you work with?
> Is she doing dance and technology in Africa? no, no, she is French...
> Are drums interactive technology?
> Do size really matters?
> Is communication a social construction?
> How many times did we write "emergence",  "locative"  or  "architecture" in a
> grant application for a dance performance...this year?
> The unconscious is political...indeed
> Is the army funding your research?
> You got that grant because you are a minority...who cares!
> In dance practices...the endorphins  help the "branding"
> Do dance and technology create social change?  I mean the performances?
> Interesting creatures  that dwell in private properties, creators and
> copyrights
> We shop ...therefore we are...human?
>

> Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: hello all
>
> indeed, an unusual question, we've never had a Marxist debate on the
> means/relations of production on our dance tech lists..
>
> (this has been an interesting autumn, though, so far)
>
> as to further references for study, one of the dance critics that jumps to my
> mind is Randy Martin, who has written interestingly and provocatively on
> motion as a social force. See his essay "Dance and its Others [theory, state,
> nation & socalism]", in Andre Lepecki, ed., Of the Presence of the Body,
> Middletown: Wesleyan Univ. Press, 2004, pp. 47-63, and his earlier books,
> Critical Moves (1998) and Performance as Political Act (1990).
>
> Thanks, Matt, for your reply, and for the critical response to "Sea Unsea".
> [...]

Simon Biggs

simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
AIM: simonbiggsuk

Research Professor, Edinburgh College of Art

s.biggs@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.eca.ac.uk/