[dance-tech] Call for Participants - Emergent Objects: Performing Design colloquium

  • From: "Sita Popat" <S.Popat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sita Popat" <S.Popat@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:50:03 +0100

Emergent Objects: Performing Design
Monday 17th - Wednesday 19th December 2007
University of Leeds

Call for participants

Emergent Objects: Performing Design will comprise performative
events/installations, workshops and presentations and a colloquium with
academic and practitioner experts in the fields of interaction design,
experience design, product design, fashion and clothing, robotics,
digital and media art, engineering, architecture and computing.

We will be showing the outcomes of our sub-projects: three objects
designed to facilitate expressive interactivity between human agents and
technology. And we will be asking participants to join us in actively
exploring and reflecting on how performance knowledge can help us to
understand and facilitate emergence in the context of design processes.

Emergent Objects draws on performance knowledge to explore and
articulate the emergent nature of the interface between technological
object and human that is fundamental to the development of new design
thinking and practices. It uses performance perspectives to investigate
the modelling of a role for design in a technological society and asks
questions about the desirable relationships between users and designed
artefacts, systems or environments. Key questions include:

-       How do performance processes facilitate interdisciplinary
communication and collaboration in a design context and what new
insights does this bring to design thinking?

-       How can practice-based methodologies which are used in
performance practice and research be usefully applied to the design
process?

-       How can performance knowledge of play, embodiment and
composition inform the design of interfaces between humans and
technological objects?

-       How do we design interfaces that are fluid, malleable and
emerging, to promote human engagement with technological objects as an
expressive, communicative and creative act?

You can find out more about Emergent Objects and our previous event in
June 2007 here: http://www.emergentobjects.co.uk/

The event will run from lunchtime on Monday 17th to lunchtime on Wed
19th December. We will cover the delegate fee for the event. Please
indicate whether you/your institution will cover the cost of your
travel/accommodation. Limited support may be available. If you would
like to be involved, please send 300 words on your research background
and the expertise you can bring to this event to pculs@xxxxxxxxxxx by
Mon 29th October 2007.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Prof Mick Wallis, University of Leeds
Principal Investigator: Emergent Objects: designing the human/technology
interface through performance
http://www.emergentobjects.co.uk/

Emergent Objects: designing the human/technology interface through
performance is a research project funded by the Arts and Humanities
Research Council (AHRC) and Engineering and Physical Sciences Research
Council (EPSRC) programme, Designing for the 21st century