[dance-tech] Brunel / Performance Research Seminar /Live Broadcast

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:14:49 -0000

i n v i t a t i o n :

Center for Contemporary & Digital Performance Research Seminar Series.
Brunel University, West London

Wednesday  February 10th
16:oo   GMT

Gordana Novakovic

(Artist-in-residence and Tesla art|science Group founder and curator, UCL
Computer Science Department)

"Surfing Disciplines: From Antonin Artaud to neuroplastic arts?"

Venue: Drama Studio Gaskell Bld. 048, School of Arts, Brunel University
Uxbridge/West London, Cleveland Road.

The digital revolution is changing the nature of our perceptual processes, and
this in turn is changing our conscious experience of the physical world,
inducing changes in cognition on a scale that is still unknown. As inhabitants
of the modern city we are in constant interaction, both active and passive,
with digital technology. These facts concern all of us in different ways, but
from my own perspective I want to ask: how does all this affect the artist? By
looking at the evolution of ideas and research elements in my artistic
practice, that now almost reads as a brief history of practices under the
broad, quite unfortunate title of 'New Media' (mixed media, multimedia,
computer art, computer animation, net.art, interactive art etc) I will talk
about my quest to understanding the phenomena arising from the interaction with
digital technologies. I will also tackle the theatrical and ritualistic
elements of interactive art against the background of Artaud's concept for the
Theatre of Cruelty.

Bio

Gordana Novakovic belongs to the generation of artists who pioneered electronic
art. Originally a painter, with 12 solo exhibitions to her credit, she now has
more than 20 years of experience of developing and exhibiting large-scale
time-based media projects. A constant characteristic of her work with new
technologies has been her distinctive method of creating an effective
cross-disciplinary framework for the emergence of synergy through
collaboration. She has presented her work at major international festivals and
venues, including ISEA, Ars Electronica, ICC (Inter Communication Center -
Tokyo), and Tate Modern. Her most recent conference appearances were at Subtle
Technologies '09, and as a keynote speaker at EVA London 2009. Her latest
piece, Fugue (http://www.fugueart.com), has been widely presented and
exhibited, most recently at the 'Infectious' group show in the Science Gallery,
Dublin, after which it was featured in the October issue of Nature Immunology.
Since 2004, Gordana has been artist-in-residence at the Computer Science
department, University College London, where in 2005 she founded the Tesla Art
and Science Group with colleagues in the department. Tesla is an informal art
and science discussion forum dealing with visionary ideas beyond the existing
remits of art and science; it aims to form and nurture cross-disciplinary
teams, projects, and networks.  Gordana's current work on neuroplastic art
explores the possibilities lying at the intersection of art and brain science.

For further information on the Series, contact coordinator Gretchen Schiller or
see our website: http://people.brunel.ac.uk/dap/boiler09-10.html

The Center broadcast selected Performance Research Seminars live from our Drama
Studio - making them available to anyone in the world interested in the subject.
The one hour talks and 30 minute discussions are webcast live on dance tech net
TV (then archived): http://www.dance-tech.net/profile/dancetechTV
This co-production is part of a partnership between our Center and
dance-techTV, and an experiment in collaborative live -streaming  (the channel
is dedicated to interdisciplinary explorations of the performance of movement.
.The channel allows worldwide 24/7 linear broadcasting of selected programs,
LIVE streaming and Video On-demand.

Center for Contemporary & Digital Performance

Johannes Birringer,
Acting Director / Coproducer dance tech TV
http://people.brunel.ac.uk/dap/boiler09-10.html