[dance-tech] Action, Reaction, and Phenomenon

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:53:36 -0000

Sat 11/1/2008 6:12 PM
Sent on behalf of S Klaus

When I first started reading this post I could not help but think of Maurice
Merleau-Ponty's theory of perception. I love his writings but I started to
wonder how perception has changed from his time to our time.

First of all, I have not seen any of the described works in person so I cannot
give any judgement, feedback or comments on them. However, I want to share with
you some thoughts I had.

Do interactive video works really give us an interactive (physical) experience?
- Personally I like to question it because our society becomes more
vision-based rather than learning through physical experience.

The American Professor of Philosophy Andy Clark, known for his hypothesis of
the "Extended mind", writes in one of his books about studies on motor-learning
of infants and how their physical perception to the world changes once they
move from crawling stage to walking one. This usually involves a re-learning of
previously encountered experiences and how to handle them. A theory that I find
quite interesting: how our point of view changes our physical experience and
hence our decision making...literally physically.

I like public transport and how it gives me space and time to do and to see
things. However, I look around and see children playing with their mobile
phones or DS with very bad physical experience and an ignorance to their
surrounding environment. How will these children experience an interactive
installation without having a first-hand experience of the experience that
interactive installation is aiming to represent or re-create?

For example, Dinkla's and Leeker's book on Dance and Technology (which comes
with a DVD: DINKLA, S. & LEEKER, M. (eds), 2002, Dance and Technology: Moving
towards Media Productions. Berlin: Alexander Verlag) shows a workshop that
creates interesting interactive installations. One of them is a swing with a
projection underneath. When the person using the swing he/she will experience a
strange sensation due to the changing size of the projection. How will someone
relate to this without ever having used a swing?

Looking forward hearing your thoughts!

Sabine Klaus CreationEditor
www.creationeditor.co.uk

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:44:45 +0100