[CVARC] Re: Need 1/8" rod for yagi elements

  • From: "GRANT D TAYLOR" <w1aim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cvarc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 17:50:57 -0400

So Ed, did I misunderstand what Cathy proposes?- Sure sounded like she was planning on a Quagi antenna. Maybe she SHOULD plan on a Quagi and thus not worry about 3 foot long driven and reflector elements?

If your tubing came from K1LPS (Which is where my 3 foot pieces came from it's likely NOT 6061-T6 and in any event too light for a 2M antenna that is meant to last. Best to stick with what commercial manufacturers use.

de W1AIM
Fn34uj and elsewhere

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:31:52 -0400
 Ed Hutchinson <ehutch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That was 3' not 3" sections....

On 04/26/2017 03:12 PM, Ed Hutchinson wrote:
I think 3' ends up being an inch or two short for driven and reflector elements on 2M anyway. I have lots of 3" sections (more than a hundred) of aluminum tubing (in several small diameters), it is very light and quite strong but a bit hard to work with (and too short for all of the elements of a 2M beam). Most is larger than 1/4".

On 04/26/2017 01:13 PM, GRANT D TAYLOR wrote:
Followup to my email sent to Cathy: I checked the aluminum pile(s) and didn't see any 1/8 aluminum rod. However, thinking back on various antenna projects here, I'd say 1/8 inch is a bit small for anything below 70cm band. Cushcraft, Directive Systems and K1FO all used 3/16" rod.... even on 70cm. And so did I for past antenna construction. For that reason I DO have several 6ft lengths of 3/16" here. Additionally, I have a very large quantity of 3/8" tubing which is what Swan and later KLM used for their antenna elements. Those pieces are all 36" which is too short for a 2M reflector or DE, but with a Quagi would be fine for directors. But it's thin wall and not 6061T-6, so perhaps a bit light for 2M elements, and would need a dowel or reinforcement mid way if it would be bolted to a boom.

If there's a chance any of these antennas might be used on the weak signal part of the band I could perhaps make a donation of either 3/16 or 3/8... Would really like to work someone in addition to W1GHZ for that FN34 multiplier! And Terry, At Directive Systems, could probably sell you some 3/16 rod. Not sure about cost or shipping however.

73,

Chip
W1AIM
FN34uj and elsewhere

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 01:53:25 +0000 (UTC)
 Catherine James <catherine.james@xxxxxxx> wrote:

We need to purchase some 36" rods, 1/8" diamater, for antenna construction. Ideally these would be aluminum, though steel or copper would work. They will become director elements in an 8-element quagi.

I haven't been able to find a place that will sell 36" aluminum rods in 1/8" diameter. I can find them in stainless steel from Grainger or other sources, but they'll be heavier and conduct less well.

Cost is important so that everyone in the club can afford to build one of these antennas.

Any suggestions for sources?

73,
Cathy
N5WVR