[CP] On the Value of Professor to Law

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CONLAWPROF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Sandy.

I begin my con law course with the Glorious Revolution. (But it's actually con
development). Let me offer these thoughts about the relevance of being a lawyer
versus an academic for discussions about "constitutional law."

Academics are more likely to be free of what I call a "bent perspective." What

mean by this is NOT that academics don't have goofy beliefs (for surely some
do). But rather that they will have been attentive to the pitfalls of whatever
belief systems they adopt. And if they haven't been sufficiently attentive, it
is usually owed to neglect rather than poor character -- meaning they'll go
back

to deal with it when shown. In fact, good academics will be embarrassed to find
that a pitfall in his or her beliefs is overlooked. You don't get the same
behavior (as a general rule) among people who do not take on as a life career
the pursuit of truth and meaning.

As such, you shouldn't find among professors the sort of behaviors in
opinion-making that you do on the A.M. radio. The way the mind maneuvers is
different. It isn't debate; it's discussion. It isn't a sword or a contest;
it's

like a food or a wine. You come to appreciate the working of minds and the
integrity of thought.

All professors have this in them to some degree, merely because of what their
work consists of. We're so insulated from the world. It's like living life in a
bottle. Your job, 24/7, is to make sense of things (one way or another).  It is
because of this that a discussion group devoted to topic X might want to
favorably indulge those whose life's work involves thinking properly of things
concerning X.

(P.S. Sent to Law and Meta Perspective)

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.