[ctw] Re: ASSP not accepting connections?

  • From: aklist <aklist_eims@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 15:09:00 -0700

On 4/29/2011 2:50 PM, TR Shaw wrote:

On Apr 29, 2011, at 5:11 PM, aklist wrote:

On 4/29/2011 2:02 PM, TR Shaw wrote:

On Apr 29, 2011, at 3:55 PM, aklist wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:46:22 -0400 TR Shaw<tshaw@xxxxxxxx>   wrote

On Apr 29, 2011, at 3:43 PM, aklist wrote:

Thanks Tom...I appreciate your help!

I changed the connection log to "verbose", but I don't see any additional
data in the mail log...is that where it would appear?

 From terminal on the local box (mac mini), I tried to telnet to 127.0.0.1
125, and I got:

sh-3.2# telnet 127.0.0.1 125
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

So, maybe it's not ASSP after all? What would prevent EIMS from listening
on that port?

Is it possible another process (or<gulp>   trojan) has hijacked port 125?

Probably not but it does sound like eims.  check eims ip blocking and no
greylisting for the assp ip; check firewall.  YOu need to be able to
connect
locally via telenet once that works you should be fine.  Might when perms
and
disk as well.

The last receive error I had in EIMS's log was:

Apr 28, 2011 4:19:10 PM -0700   127.0.0.1       Blocked host
assp.mail.enigmedia.com
for premature pipelining

I noticed this before, and I went into EIMS Preferences and unchecked
"Block
prematurely pipelined hosts"...but I don't have greylisting/smtphostlist
enabled, and I don't see where else 127.0.0.1 would be blocked? (everything
on
the SMTP Host Preferences is unchecked except for "block hosts that issue
HTTP
POST commands")

I've quit/relaunched EIMS several times.

Thats it EIMS has blocked assp. go and whitelist it forever.

THanks TOm...yikes...I thought the SMTP Host List was disabled! I never even
thought to check there :((((

You back up and running?

Yes, and thanks so much for your support, Tom! It's always the last place you'd
think to look :(

I would think that somewhere, either in EIMS or ASSP, there should have been a log event
showing "connection refused"...anything that could have let me quickly trace
where the problem was?

Glenn made block and blacklisted different I think blocked is silent (why I
don't know I would have wanted a internal log of it)

Yah, well, with Glenn's reticence about updates, it looks like EIMS' days are numbered anyway (for me). I tried to move to Courier years ago when I had no Unix knowledge, but I've been forced to pick it up for ASSP, BIND, ClamAV, etc...now it seems much less daunting.

Circle The Wagons
manage: //www.freelists.org/list/ctw post: mailto:ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
search: //www.freelists.org/archives/ctw
faq: //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq