[cseblist] Seeking Three Panel Members for Leading Edge Conference Session]

  • From: ecoworld <ecoworld@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cseb ontario list <cseblist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:08:40 -0400

As below
Wendy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Seeking Three Panel Members for Leading Edge Conference Session
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:36:08 -0400
From: "Harlow,Gretchen [PYR]" <Gretchen.Harlow@xxxxxxxx>(by way of
Ontario Environment Network <oen@xxxxxx>)
To: (Recipient list suppressed)

 Dear Friend of Stewardship and Conservation (please forward as appropriate)

In February we canvassed the ENGO networks of Canada for interview
candidates to participate in a study of the systemic barriers to long term
sustainability of stewardship and conservation organizations in Canada.  The
research was commissioned by the Leading Edge: Stewardship and Conservation
in Canada 2003, for presentation at this second national conference, now
less than a month away...July 3-6, at the University of Victoria, in British
Columbia. www.stewardship2003.ca   Your responses came from all corners of the
country, and provided us with
the voices of stewardship that are heard in the study, conducted by Dovetail
Consulting Inc. Twenty-two in-depth interviews with stewardship leaders, a
literature review, and a survey of 150 stewardship and conservation groups
are now complete. The draft report of the study is in final review.

Here is the program description, showing how the report will be used at the
conference:
"This ninety minute session will present findings of a major study followed
by a panel and open discussion. Appreciating the Values, Needs and Potential
of the Stewardship and Conservation Sector in Canada: Strategic Directions
for Funding and Other Support examines the dynamics of the persistent
problem of core funding and explores strategies to meet the long term needs
of the sector.  Participants and panel members will review conclusions of
the report and recommend preferred strategies to government, foundations and
the sector itself."

We are now seeking 3 volunteer panelists for the session described above. If
you are interested in participating and have a philosophical and practical
perspective on the topic, here's what's required:
- You would have to commit to reading the report carefully - it's about 100
pages long.
- You would have to be prepared to present your views on the question of
which strategies you feel are most promising and why - in only 10 minutes.
- You would have to be coming to the conference anyway - there is no budget
for panelist travel or honoraria.

We are asking for panelists from across the country, and we will also look
for diversity in experience and to have guy(s) and gal(s). If we get more
than 3 volunteers responding to this email request, those are the priorities
we will use to select three. Send a short bio and a paragraph explaining
your interest in participating by Wednesday, June 18th to
gretchen.harlow@xxxxxxxx  This promises to be an intriguing session, of great
interest to many
conference participants. Please let us know ASAP if you can pitch in. You
can contact me directly for further information: ph 604-940-4659 or email
address below.

Looking forward to your response,
Gretchen Harlow
on behalf of the Research Committee
Leading Edge: Stewardship and Conservation in Canada 2003

Project Development/EcoAction Advisor
Canadian Wildlife Service
Pacific Wildlife Research Centre
5421 Robertson Road RR#1