[cseblist] Naturalizing your yard for water efficiency--FREE SEMINARS

  • From: "Natalie Helferty" <nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CSEB Ontario Freelist" <cseblist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:57:25 -0400

Hope everyone is having a great summer! Last year NASA Climatologists from
the Goddard Space Institute in Washington, DC predicted 2005 would be the
hottest year on record...seems they are right! We are being influenced by an
El Nino off the west coast.

And so in the vein of 'Think Global, Act Local', here is some info to
understand how we affect climate and what we can do to help mitigate these
extreme conditions.

NASA has found that cities cause extreme weather events through what is
known as the 'urban heat island' effect. By paving surfaces, putting out air
pollutants, and altering evaporation and thermal heating, large cities
create their own weather...see
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/environment/Changing_Cities.html  and
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2003/1211urban.html for
neat video clips. NASA is now working to measure the effects cities and
their extensive pavement have on global climate change.

And so to this end, by renaturalizing our cities and reducing pollution
(both heat and particulates and chemicals...and pavement) we can each do our
small part to offset extreme weather events, like severe thunderstorms and
drought in and around our cities. And using water efficient plants will
reduce water use too!

For those living or working or willing to travel (by transit preferably) to
Toronto, The City of Toronto is hosting Renaturalization Workshops in July
and August.

Come out to FREE SEMINARS learn how to "Naturalize your Property with Water
Efficient Plants"

Taught by renowned horticulturist, Marjorie Mason, host of the radio show
"Let's Get Growing".

These are outdoor seminars on Wednesday evenings from 7-8:30 pm.

West Toronto: Wed. July 20th, 2005, Sunnydale Acres Park, Amoro Road,
Etobicoke (between Porterfield Rd. and WestHumber Blvd.)
North Toronto: Wed. July 27th, 2005, Bayview Village Park, Bayview Avenue,
Willowdale (between Sheppard Ave and Citation Dr.)
East Toronto: Wed. Aug. 3rd, 2005, Seasons Drive Baseball Diamond, Seasons
Drive, Scarborough (off Oasis Blvd., between Grackle Trail and Grosbeak
Cres.)
Central Toronto: Wed. Aug. 10th, 2005, High Park, #24 Picnic Area, Deer Pen
Road (near zoo), Toronto (south of Bloor St., off Centre Rd. off Colbourne
Lodge Dr.)

Seminars will run rain or shine. Look for the Seminar Tent.

Registration by phone required at 1-866-949-7797. Space is limited, so call
now!

Also, if you live in the City of Toronto and would like a FREE Lawn and
Garden Assessment, contact the City for an appointment at the same number.
Program ends September 2, 2005.

Natalie Helferty (for those that wish to contact me, I am now working as the
Terrestrial Biologist at Credit Valley Conservation in Mississauga at
nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)