[cseblist] FW: Living on Earth as if we want to stay

  • From: "Natalie Helferty" <nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CSEB Ontario Freelist" <cseblist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 13:22:06 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Nickerson [mailto:sustain5@xxxxxx]
Sent: May 23, 2007 11:57 AM
To: nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Living on Earth as if we want to stay

Public discussions about securing the future:

Between May 26th and June 8th, Mike Nickerson will be speaking at thirteen
events in the following cities/towns: Ottawa, Killaloe, Minden, Caledon,
Lucknow, Orillia, Thornhill, Waterloo, Chatham, Toronto, Brighton & Trenton.
Full details on times and places follow the brief description.  We
appreciate your interest in supporting the outreach work that we are doing.
Please circulate to anyone you think might be interested. Thanks, and
apologies if you have received this more than once. Mike and Donna
-------------------------

While popular concern for environmental matters
is reaching new heights, there is a shortage of
information about how to transform society to avoid
serious consequences.

Climate change and rising energy costs are
symptoms.  The problem is that the human species has
grown to confront planetary limits and our customs and
institutions have us hard-wired to continue growing.

Join Mike Nickerson, author of "Life, Money &
Illusion; Living on Earth as if we want to stay" as he
shares insights from thirty years spent studying cultural
evolution and how we can move toward sustainability.
A question and answer period and discussion will
complete the event.

Is it proper, now that our biggest problems result
from our size, to hold growth as a goal?
Would it be better to enjoy living while managing
mutual provision (the economy) within the carrying
capacity of the Earth?

It is a Question of Direction.

"Life, Money & Illusion" provides the background
for the Question of Direction.  It is a finalist in the
Nautilus Book Awards 2007 - Ecology/Environment/Sustainability
category.  Summary details can be found at:
http://www.SustainWellBeing.net/LMI/lmisummary.html

The Challenge and the Goal are introduced at:
http://www.SustainWellBeing.net/challengeandgoal.html

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

============

May 24th, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Heart + Soul and Spiritual Frontiers Canada
Panel Discussion - 7:15 pm to 9:15 pm
Ottawa Citizen Building, Baxter St.

============

May 26, 2007
Killaloe, ON
Reviving the Local Economy
Municipal Office Board Room/Killaloe Library
on Queen St..
12:00 to 3:00 pm

============

May 27, 2007
Minden, ON
Minden United Church
21 Newcastle St
7:00 pm

============

May 28, 2007
Caledon , ON
Whole Village, 20725 Shaws Creek Rd,
(see www.wholevillage.org/directions.htm for directions )
RSVP at 519-941-1099 or info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
7:30 PM

============

May 29, 2007
Lucknow, ON
6:00 p.m. at Meeting Place Organic Farm
86016 Creek Line, 3 roads east of Lucknow and 4 km south of former
Highway 86.
Potluck supper and farm tour at 6:00,
Presentation on Life, Money & Illusion, Living on Earth as if we want
to stay at 7:00
(If coming for the potluck please bring your own cutlery and plates.)

============

May 30, 2007
Orillia, ON
Wisdom Circle
St. Pauls United Church
62 Peter Street North
north/east corner of Peter and Colborne
7:30 - 9:00 p.m.

============

June 1, 2007
Thornhill, ON
48 Suncrest Blvd.
In the Multipurpose Room
Located at the corner of Highway 7 & Times Avenue
7:30 - 9:30 p.m.

============

June 4, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Living on Earth as if we want to stay;
Waterloo Public Interest Research Group (WPIRG)
Student Life Centre, multi purpose Room, University of Waterloo
5 p.m. - 8 p.m.                     519-888-4882
============

June 5, 2007
Chatham, ON
Myles' Miracle Mission - Cancer Assist Wellness Centre
at: Wheels Inn, on Richmond St.
7:00 p.m
Phone; 354-1849

============

June 6, 2007
Toronto, ON
Metro Greens Pub Night
Wednesday, June 6 2007 at 7:00 PM
Where: Jester Pub and Grill (please go straight through to the back room)
1427 Yonge Street @ St. Clair SE corner (south a few doors on Yonge)
Toronto, ON M4T 1Y7 (416) 323-3421

============

June 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
Science for Peace
Sky Dragon Restaurant, Top Floor,
SW corner of Dundas and Spadina
6:30 pm cash bar
7:00 Cantonese dinner $20 per person
7:30 talk & discussion.

============

June 8, 2007
Brighton, ON
Brighton Library
35 Alice St.
3 p.m.

============

June 8, 2007
Trenton, ON
Trenton High Cafeteria
King & 4th Ave.
7:00 pm

============

"Perhaps we cannot raise the wind.
But each of us can put up the sail,
so that when the wind comes we can catch it."

E.F. Schumacher

http://www.SustainWellBeing.net

Sustainability Project - 7th Generation Initiative
2799 McDonald's Corners Rd.
RR #3
Lanark, Ontario
K0G 1K0