[cseblist] FW: FYI-Asian Long-horned Beetle-media coverage

  • From: "Natalie Helferty" <nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carissa Wong" <scbtochapter@xxxxxxxxx>, "CSEB Ontario Freelist" <cseblist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:30:12 -0500

Just to inform CSEB members that if you are out doing field work, be sure to
look for Asian long-horned beetle exit holes. I will send a follow-up email
on an invasive species workshop on Nov. 20 at Seneca College King Campus.
Registration deadline for lunch included with the $15 fee is Nov. 12.
Natalie Helferty

segmented antennae) can be seen at www.inspection.gc.ca

NOV 06, 2004   THE TORONTO SUN   PAGE: 26 (NEWS)

BEETLE BACK TO BUG US
NEW INFESTATION FOUND IN VAUGHAN
KEYWORDS: CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY [OR] CFIA [OR] FOOD INSPECTION
AGENCY, TREE* [NEAR] INFECTED [OR] INFESTATION [OR] INSECT [OR] LARVA
[OR] BEETLE [OR] PEST, LEAVES [NEAR] PEST [OR] BEETLE
   KEVIN CONNOR, TORONTO SUN

   A NEW infestation of the Asian long-horned beetle has been discovered
in Vaughan, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency says.

   "We need to remove about 100 trees in the area. It's the only
effective (way) to get rid of the beetle," said Howard Stanley,
spokesman for the CFIA.

   The site of the infected trees is located north of Hwy. 7 and east of
Weston Rd.

   "We will take the trees to a disposal yard and grind them down, which
will kill the insect and larva," Stanley said.

   The colder months are the best time to cut down the trees because the
beetle moves more slowly and is unable to fly away.

   The Asian long-horned beetle was discovered in trees in Vaughan,
north of Toronto, last September.

   Maple trees are especially vulnerable to the pest.

   It kills the trees as it burrows and feeds on them, hollowing the
heartwood and leaving a pinky-sized hole when it leaves to mate.

   "This is a destructive pest. If it went unchecked it would kill 70%
of our hardwoods," Stanley said.

   "We are going to need two years of no-finds to be sure the problem
has been eradicated."

   If you believe that you may have found this beetle, please call
1-800-442-2342.

   ILLUS: photo by Michael Peake BRUCE D'ANDREA of the Canadian Food
Inspection Agency points to exit holes bored by the Asian long-horned
beetle.

There was also ALHB coverage on:
* CBC TV - broadcast on Friday;
* The New VR - broadcast on Friday;
* CBC Radio - broadcast on Friday;
* Foxy 88 Radio - broadcast on Saturday;
* Ming Pao - an article ran on Saturday;
* The King Township Sentinel will be running an article in Wednesday's
newspaper;
* Lo Specchio has indicated they will publish an article Friday.

Howard also conducted an interview with Rogers TV, York Region, this
a.m.

Tari

Tari Stork
Communications Officer
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments
1124 Finch Avenue West, Unit 2
Toronto, Ontario
M3J 2E2
(416) 665-5040

[...]