[csdn-sa] Re: Mockup Dynamic Web-Site

  • From: George Patterson <george@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:22:43 +0930

Brian,

Good Idea but..
The problem with using suburb names is that you must then include every
suburb or postcode. Example: A distributor has the suburbs
Newton, Glynde, Rostrevor. A user of the web site visits
csdn.spyderweb.com.au and types in Payneham (which is a stone throw from
Glynde). That search wouldn't match because it is not listed.

Even if we use postcodes for the "Distribution Area", you still need to
list the suburbs, keeping in mind, that more than
one suburb with in it. <Australia Post stuffed up and didn't allow for
re-developments.>

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:02:59 +0930
Brian Astill <bastill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:11 am, David Lloyd wrote:
>
> >  * http://csdn.spyderweb.com.au/
> >
> > What do we all think of this particular page?
>

> Pretty easy to use. and I liked the acceptance of correctly=spelled
> abbreviations (Flight will find all the Flightgear stuff, Flite
> won't).

Not unless we implement the soundex algorithm. See
http://au2.php.net/manual/en/function.soundex.php for details.
See http://www.plymouth.edu/psc/purchase/BANNER/home/tipstrickstraps.pdf
for an explanation on how the translation happens.