[cs_edworkers] Re: Our workshop at NYCore this Saturday, March 21

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "treslances@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:37:17 -0400

I'm planning to be there by 9.

Mark

treslances@xxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: cs_edworkers <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Mar 16, 2015 6:50 pm
Subject: [cs_edworkers] Our workshop at NYCore this Saturday, March 21

Here's the flier for our workshop at NYCoRE. Our workshop is at 11 am; the
location is the James Baldwin School (18th St. between 8th and 9th).   I think
we need all of us possible to attend the workshop, work the lit table, and the
conference in general.

Starting at 9 am we will be handing out the fliers about our workshop; also
there is a sign-up sheet for teachers interested in a Marxism and Education
ongoing study group. We need comrades early on, through the workshop, and some
comrades to stay for the lunch and the afternoon.

   Our workshop....

San and I are presenting.  When we wrote the workshop proposal, it was in the
context of massive demonstrations over the 43 "disappeared" students in
Ayotzinapa. In addition, we now have, in the wake of Ferguson, students
protesting racist police repression in Wisconsin, and students in New Mexico
walking out against Common   We also have some powerful video on Ayotzinapa..

   The conference....

The conference theme this year is "Justice Not Tests" and they are pushing the
"opt out" movement.  As you know, the conference, tho billed as "NY Collective
of Radical Educators," is so far from radical as to wonder whether it's even
liberal.  It's almost completely apolitical--if you look at the workshop
offerings, almost nothing with a hard edge--whether against the charters,
against Common Core, etc.

So it will be like plowing through mush, but it's a rare opportunity to meet
NYC teachers and education students who think they are looking for radical
curriculum and teaching networks.

Our 11 am slot is concurrent with Jia Li's called "Opt Out Clinic, so that will
absorb the MORE, Change the Stakes types (who wouldn't attend us anyway.)  We
will attract those teachers who are interested in real struggle, in solidarity
with student struggles in the US, teachers abroad, with the struggle of Latinos
and blacks.

   Your availability

Please let me know your avail, so we can plan. The full conference workshop
schedule is on the NYCoRE web site.