[cs_edworkers] Re: NYCoRE workshop ---Were we're at

  • From: "Charlie Brover" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "cbrover" for DMARC)
  • To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:34:28 +0000 (UTC)

Sounds good.

From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 10:52 AM
Subject: [cs_edworkers] NYCoRE workshop ---Were we're at

Hi Comrades,
 Jay Arena has agreed to be on our panel for NYCoRE, speaking about the housing
question in New Orleans during/post Katrina -- which was the devastation of the
9th Ward, and other areas. He was studying and active down there at the time.
So that will be helpful in setting the context, and will also  be somebody with
direct experience in N.O.
So here's what I have in mind as the workshop design:
Leaflet Logo: What's Marx Got to Do With it?  Capitalism, Racism and Public
Education
Workshop Headline (large)  New Orleans, Chicago, NYC: Charter Schools:
Capitalist Disaster for Students and Teachers
Slide show as they come in ......

Panel:Facilitator/Speaker    Mia Foley   (CSEW-UFT), puts workshop in national
context of privatization)  10 min
Jay Arena (CUNY-CSI) How they used Katrina to destroy public housing in NOLA
15 minMark Lance (CUNY-BMCC, CSEW)  New Orleans Schools -- 10 years after
Katrina   25 min max
Possible announcement about PSC/Strike situation (if still active): Sandor or
Portia  5 minPossible report from Oaxaca Teachers or Brazil teachers
Discussion/ Summaries/Pitch for CSEW activities,
Please get  back to me soon with any comments, changes, suggestions.  Note, I
will not be there obviously, and the deadline for applications is Monday (Jan
4) so we need to turn this around ASAP!
😀(Anticipating my sentiments from Oaxaca)