[cs_edworkers] Major demo for Gaza, Saturday, August 9

  • From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "marxist_study@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <marxist_study@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 22:42:20 -0400

I'm forwarding  this important announcement of a protest Saturday, part of
an international demonstration for Gaza. I'll definitely be going.  Hope
people can come.

  Comrades,

There is a major international demonstration for Gaza this coming Saturday
afternoon, August 9, starting at 1 p.m. at Columbus Circle and marching at
3 p.m. to the United Nations. It has a long endorsers list, is being widely
publicized and promises to be quite large. The last big Gaza demo in New
York had perhaps 8,000; the demo in Washington, D.C. last weekend (August
2) was considerably larger: our estimate was about 30,000. The
Internationalist Group did quite well there: with a team of four comrades
we sold over 125 copies of *The Internationalist* stuffed with our “Defend
Gaza” leaflet....

See the article at:  http://www.internationalist.org/defendgaza1407.html

 We are planning a full mobilization for Saturday. We want to have as big a
contingent as possible.... People should be clear that this is *not* a
leftist milieu, although there are many leftists there. The general tone of
the protests has been Palestinian nationalism, with a good deal of
Islamism. But the Palestinian population is by far the most cosmopolitan
and open to communism of any in the Middle East.

In any case, we want to emphatically show our proletarian internationalist
opposition to this terrorist war by the Zionist army and its imperialist
backers.

(Note that we have been actively promoting the call for workers action to
stop Israeli ships, in the U.S. and with militant dock workers in Spain and
elsewhere. We had made arrangements to go to Oakland, California on August
2 for a planned picket of a Zim Lines ship, but it was called off at the
last minute. A protest is being planned for the Port of Oakland for August
16. Zim Line ships are constantly coming to the Port Newarks, but the
chances of getting anywhere near the gate here seem slim.)

If you want to be in the contingent, please get back to us.

Thank

The World Stands with Gaza! International MARCH to the UN: NYC - SAT *AUG 9

*Stop the Massacre!End U.S. Aid to Israel!End the SeigeAdd your
organization’s endorsement & supportSAT *AUG 91 pm RallyColumbus Circle58th
St & 8th Ave3 pm MARCH to U.N.*

JPEG image