[cryptome] Re: site down? / drone comments

  • From: "Al Mac Wow" <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:00:52 -0500

Jeanette, this has been a hot topic on drone-list.  I have lists of news
stories in my Drone Notes, about drone usage, by US state, county, city, police
force.

Here is a summary of US states considering drone legislation. (more than ½ of
them)

https://www.aclu.org/blog/technology-and-liberty/status-domestic-drone-legislation-states

Here’s the status of that effort, in map format.

http://tracking.tenthamendmentcenter.com/drones/

Several US municipalities have passed, and/or are considering, drone ordinances.

Fortunately very few cities (so far) have police with weaponized drones.

You might want to sign the petition regarding DHS CBP drones threatening over
2/3 of US population.

http://epic.org/drones_petition/

We also need a political campaign to reverse having 2/3 of US population in a
constitution free zone.

http://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights-constitution-free-zone-map

EFF via FOIA with FAA has got a directory of places authorized to be using
drones for what purposes in USA, with periodic updates.

Here is map
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/faa-releases-its-list-drone-certificates-leaves-many-questions-unanswered>
  of US cities, where various institutions got FAA approval to fly drones over
US airspace.[1] This is as of April 2012

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/faa-releases-its-list-drone-certificates-leaves-many-questions-unanswered.

Here is December 2012 update.[2]

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/12/newly-released-drone-records-reveal-extensive-military-flights-us

Here is revised again Feb 2013.[3]

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/faa-releases-new-list-drone-authorizations-your-local-law-enforcement-agency-map

Lots more have been added since then, not in public documents yet.

o       Color Coding:

o       Red – Active;

o       Blue – Expired;

o       Yellow – Denied.

A major problem is vast numbers of people operating drones in violation of FAA
regulations, like 2 recent incidents with NYC airports.

An astronomical problem: it is darn near impossible for anyone to figure out
who is operating which drone, for what purposes.

Last month, there were drone military attacks in Pakistan, which killed 2 alQ
and a lot of civilians, for which both the US and Pakistan have said they did
not do it.

CDT has proposed that drones ought to have a radio frequency id (who is
operating me), serving same function as printed tail numbers on manned flight.

https://www.cdt.org/blogs/joseph-lorenzo-hall/0803license-plates-drones

Enforcement will be a challenge.  Drones can now be made by 3d printers.

Al Mac (WOW) = Alister William Macintyre

  _____