[cryptome] Re: question

  • From: Peter Presland <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 20:10:48 +0000

Seems to me that the answer depends on what EXACTLY you are trying to
protect against.

Personally, I have concluded that the legal jurisdiction of a server's
domicile has relevance only in so far as the 'legality' of its content
are concerned. That and the possibility of seizure/disabling of it's
domain name. When unable to agree, I have become accustomed to closing
complainant exchanges with "see you in court then - an IRISH court".
Unlikely to put off the uber-wealthy anywhere of course - or any
government with a good case, but seems to work well enough otherwise.

As for protecting against unauthorised server access, monitoring etc:
Since I now know that the main ISP's in the UK, together with ALL the
commercial OS and application vendors, co-operate fully with the
NSA/GCHQ's of this world; and at a level that renders amateur
countermeasures no more than ineffective irritants to them; and bearing
in mind the nature of my web site; I now work on the assumption that
EVERYTHING I do on the internet is an open-book to them. Also, whilst I
have no illusions about the effectiveness of the site in its stated
purposes, I also assume that I and the site ARE being monitored and
experimented on, if only as part and parcel of ongoing cyber-spook
rookie training and practice.

George Orwell was quite prescient with his 1984 novel, but even he would
be amazed at the extent of the surveillance capabilities of our 21st
century Big Brothers.

PeterP