[cryptome] Re: nother one bites the dust

  • From: coderman <coderman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:50:01 -0700

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM, taxakis <taxakis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 'nother one bites the dust.... https://privacy.cryptoseal.com/

"""
Essentially, the service was created and operated under a certain
understanding of current US law, and that understanding may not
currently be valid.  As we are a US company and comply fully with US
law, but wish to protect the privacy of our users, it is impossible
for us to continue offering the CryptoSeal Privacy consumer VPN
product.

Specifically, the Lavabit case, with filings released by Kevin Poulsen
of Wired.com
(https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/801182-redacted-pleadings-exhibits-1-23.html)
reveals a Government theory that if a pen register order is made on a
provider, and the provider's systems do not readily facilitate full
monitoring of pen register information and delivery to the Government
in realtime, the Government can compel production of cryptographic
keys via a warrant to support a government-provided pen trap device.
"""