[cryptome] Re: multiple darknet markets seized or offline

  • From: Patrick <apexcp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 14:33:19 -0500

If you think Tor is broken as a result of this operation, there are a lot
of questions to answer. I'd be really happy to hear people's take.

Here are a few from
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/tor-crisis-of-confidence/ --

> First, despite the fact that some 50 hidden services were seized, only 17
arrests took place and several of those suspects are already out on bail.

Remembering that 17 individuals were taken into custody helps keep the
operation in perspective. Because many of the 17 suspects are already out
on bail in the U.K., that suggests that these may have been the sort of
small time busts that we've seen police make for years on the Dark Net by
intercepting mail and exploiting users' poor operational security.

According to the FBI’s criminal complaint, the fall of Silk Road 2 can be
credited to a series of profound mistakes by accused mastermind Blake
Benthall <http://dailydot.com/tags/blake-benthall/>, including using
personal credit cards, giving away his location on social media, and making
huge purchases with bitcoins from illicit sources.

Second, the biggest black markets on the Dark Net are still operating
smoothly. In fact, Evolution and Agora, two of the top-three largest Dark
Net markets
<http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/headline-story/10397/deep-web-size-infographic/>,
are still growing. The seized websites represent less than a third of total
commerce on the Dark Net.

“Still here, working hard, very busy,” Kimble, the owner of the Evolution
market, said today after the Silk Road 2 bust. “Please bear with us,
thanks.”

Third, if this operation truly represented a break in the anonymity
provided by Tor—something that law enforcement clearly wants you to
believe—then why are the Dark Net's biggest child pornography sites still
operating? Why are the biggest financial fraud sites still operating? Why
are the biggest Dark Net markets still functioning?