[cryptome] Re: cryptome compromised?

  • From: Aftermath <aftermath.thegreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 21:16:35 -0700

if youre serious about secure email you can always set up your own
pgp mail server

for a while i was paying for countermail. its a disklesd webmail server
that boots from a read-only cd rom with a public keysize of 4096 bits. you
can also pay with bitcoin which had me sold on it.

i no longer use it because they use a java applet for the pgp functions
which i dont really like because its not at all open so iits not open for a
security assesment by the community.

after 6 months of using it i happened to find their FAQ. Turns out all
their private keys are stored on their server. you can remove ypur private
key and back it up to an encrypted flash drive or whatever for safe
keeping, but i really wish they would had made that more clear when i
signed up.

theres also the posdibility that the whole thing is a honeytrap. this
assesment, in part or whole, can be said about most suposidly secure
webmail services. some are even worse like hushmail where encryption doesnt
mean shit if they give up your private keys because the judge signed a
warrant.

i have higher hopes for new decentralized technologies. im proud that i can
say i am founder and financial backer of the decentralized identity
software that will be known as keyhotee when it comes out

i still say that there should be an open source, multi platform  encrypted
decentralized voip program with text messaging that can be used over wifi.
an anonymization feature would be icing on the cake. of course that would
be a tall order, but a guy can dream.