[cryptome] Re: [cryptome] Re: [cryptome] Re: [cryptome] Re: [cryptome] Israel to get 14 F-35 Stealth Fighters from USA: Cost £2.2billion

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 13:31:50 -0500

Dougie,

I would think that ITAR would apply for any export of weaponry (or anything
else on the USML) to another country or foreign national.  So, there would
be a paper trail, but that would need to be followed.

Also, I'm not sure how one would get, say, 16 F-16s to the Middle East.
The logistics for air to air re-fueling and risks involved in that kind of
operation can get expensive for a straight transit from CONUS.  Tear 'em
down and crate 'em up for a freighter?  I imagine that would work in some
instances, especially with a vehicle like an Apache which has a much
shorter range.

The other option would be to "hop and skip" across... say US to Greenland
to UK to Turkey or something along those lines.  I really hadn't though
about it.  But, since the aid packages generally include training for
flight crews, etc... it would make sense to fly the trainees over, train
them here and let them fly their new toys back.

Still, JP5 doesn't come from nowhere and anytime those birds have to land,
there's going to be at least one tower (military or not) with knowledge of
that operation.

For smaller items like Stingers, AR-15s, etc - those could go any number of
ways for their "fantastic voyage"...

--- A