[cryptome] Re: Watson Gullibility Test

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 14:42:05 +0000

My Dear Coderman,
You have a fondness for using crows, in pairs too, but not in ones or threes or to base n I notice, in argument obscure...Forgive me, but your posting does not compute, nor does it make sense in my mind. Perhaps I am more stupid than I first thought...(Ungracious comments most unwelcome...as being nice and polite is often much better than being truthful:-).

Would you care to explain...if not for me...at least for the benefit of others on this list...or am I the only one...:-) . I would be most grateful for your enlightenment on such a matter...

Ah! I have just realised that perhaps you mean that there is no answer to "how does a computer deal with thought"...well...you could be wrong... I see that you consider yourself fairly well versed in artificial intelligence. Can I pose a "thought" experiment to you? Well, the first question to ask...if you don't mind me saying so, is to try and discover if it (i.e. a thought) does exist? And then, if it does, how does one measure it... So, why not try this little experiment. It won't take up much of your time, it won't cost you any money, it won't do you any harm, and you can do it in a jiffy.

Can you count your thoughts...And here, I don't mean sheep or other animals or things, or numbers,, avoid them, but a thought, just as a thought comes into your head and you reject it, you move on to the next one...without developing it any further? If you can, or anyone else can, please...let me know...if you wish...there is no compulsion of course, after all this is a public list and we can all say and think what we like.

On 26/12/14 14:17, coderman wrote:
On 12/26/14, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And...how does a computer deal with thought?

my personal test for sufficient capability:

show the computer a set of pictures; many are scenes of attempted murder.
  teach it to pick out the pair of crows, not the others, when asked.
   :P