[cryptome] Re: Using Playstation 4 and other Internet gaming options for secure transmission of secret instructions

  • From: Chien Fume <chien.fume@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 12:22:59 +0200

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 4:22 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Chien,
No, I haven't been able to find anything as yet. Weird though, how the
intelligence services say that the terrorists are very efficient,
sophisticated and clever with their communications, which is why the state
needs more powers, resources and help; yet other research available on
cryptome (alas, I haven't got a url...:-(. ) says that mostly terrorist
communications are pretty primitive, though they are aware of the big eyes
in the sky and the tracking of mobiles etc... (long before Snowden revealed
the mass surveillance and targetting). It only takes one bomb in a mobile
phone for people to learn the lesson, even if it blows up the wrong
person...

You're correct, Doug. It's clear that whatever technology the actual
terrorists use is given to them by governments, who also train and provide
logistical support for their activities.

The Snowden affair is puzzling. So few documents released, and what has
been revealed doesn't seem to be that important... mostly things that were
already known or suspected by researchers who keep up with RFPs, patent
applications, and research papers.

In Israel, we first learned of the disturbing '911 Facility' being built by
the U.S. because of an RFP for mezuzahs.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/163520
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-us-is-building-secret-site-911-in-israel-2012-11
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-site-y-911-phase-ii-tel-aviv-israel-2013-3

Contrary to what most people think, Israel has never been a sovereign
country determining its own policies. It has always been only a front for
the really big global entities. The majority here constantly vote for
what's called 'Right Wing' slates, yet the things that are actually done
are in line with 'Left Wing' ideology. For example, the so-called Right
Wing Netanyahu, who's been described as 'a sheep in wolf's clothing'.

I know this is a contentious issue, but it ought not to be. A careful read
of the 1948 article in the Marxist 'The Nation' lays out the basic problems
we've had, and still have. "The British Record on Partition"
http://emperor.vwh.net/history/br.htm http://www.tenc.net/history/pdf.htm
-- this was written at a time when 'The Left' understood the necessity of a
sovereign Jewish State. They no longer embrace this view and will only be
happy when a Judenrein Muslim state is created in the heartland of Israel.
This is very troubling to me because for so much of my life I've worked in
'Leftist' political and social organizations. I recall the time when the
leadership of Leftist groups began taking the side of the PLO. When Billy
Ayers and his Weather Underground published "Prairie Fire", with its
anti-Israel section, this caused a big fracture in the SDS (composed
largely of Jews).
https://archive.org/details/PrairieFireThePoliticsOfRevolutionaryAnti-imperialismThePolitical
--- this was the first of many experiences that would lead me to see
Marxism, in general, as nothing but another front for the greedy corporate
totalitarians I previously thought we were fighting.

During the time of the IRA troubles here in the UK, I remember the
struggle that went on to find the cells who came to the UK to bomb. They
mostly came in 3s, one woman and two men, pre-briefed with instructions
and awaiting a phone call with a code. After amassing whatever stuff they
needed, a target, a date and time, cars, arms and materials off they went
to bomb and maim, in the name of freedom and democracy. Sometimes, they
were very nice, caring, kind and considerate and gave a few minutes
warning, occasionaly they didn't or made a mistake and got it wrong. I was
a student at the time and can remember quite vividly the explosions at
Harrods when I was at the Guildhall researching civil liberties.

I believe that the IRA sided with the Nazis during the war. After the war,
they were trained by the Otto Skorzeny operation that created, trained, and
supplied the PLO. Skorzeny's story is an important link between the German
Fascists and the Arab Nationalist Fascists.

The pressure on the British state became so great that various secret
services and agencies were employed to try and find out who was doing what,
who was leading it and so on. The discovery operations were so secret that
they even spied on each others agent provocateurs, and it got to the point
that one agent provocateur was getting ready to torture another agent
provocateur who was also working for the British state. Luckily for them,
someone cottoned on before they got the honesty pills and electric
therapy. A whole number of innocent Irish people were prosecuted too, the
pressure was so great on law enforcement, with beatings in prison and heavy
sentences after the admission of guilt. Even evidence such as the some of
the chemicals present in playing cards, was used to "prove" that they
people were guilty. Stuff is still coming out about it yet.
see url:http://cryptome.org/fru-stakeknife.htm for an introduction and
further urls.

Although I made a comment about enjoying a 'Black and Tan' drink in another
place, I know this unit was responsible for atrocities against Irish
individuals and groups. Britain was wrong to do what it did to Ireland.
Today, the situation seems quiet... but I wonder if this is just an
illusion.

I have no doubt that a variety of methods of communication will be used,
just as Osama Bin Laden relied on human couriers to pass on instructions,
rather than use the internet.

Didn't Bin Laden do this only after Clinton (I think) bragged about how the
U.S. was using sophisticated technology to track him. Until that point,
he'd been using every technological gadget available at the time.

Today's terrorists will also use a variety of internet methods, but,
because they know about the compromise of TOR, tails and how anything
encrypted gets targeted by the security services, they will find
workarounds such as Play Station 4 or apparently innocuous networks on
social media.

I think it's all an illusion. The only people the FBI have arrested have
been those they recruited and supplied in 'sting' operations. That kind of
activity was illegal before the totalitarian 'Patriot Act'... although it
was routinely done but most of the time the target didn't have good enough
legal representation to do the necessary discovery and interrogatories to
impeach the police testimony and evidence. Today, I wonder how anyone can
ever get out of the Kafka-Orwell nightmare once they've taken the bait.

Interesting too, to note that the attack on the theatre where the most
casualties were, was owned by Jewish proprietors up until a few months
ago. I suspect that the terrorists were trying to send out a double
message, but weren't quite up to date.

I have never understood religion myself. I came from a religious
background with a grandmother who was a great beleiver in the Faith
Mission. However, I have never had the faith. I have never been able to
develop an absolute belief in the existence of God, and just don't
understand how people can be that certain...But there you are it takes all
sorts to make the world. It is not that I am opposed to religion or people
having religious beliefs, but there are so many instances in history where
religion has been used as a justification for mass murder by drowning,
torture, raping, molesting, starving etc. Even science, with its so called
scientific method has been used to justify mass murder on race or ethnic
grounds...we have all got to have good genes, as if one breed such things
into human beings to create the perfect human being with the perfect brain
and mind...

see Fox's Book of the Martyrs url:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxe's_Book_of_Martyrs
for the use of religious persecution on protestants by catholics earlier
on in English history... The book was almost as popular amongst the masses
as the Bible and Das Kapital...at one time... :-).

Thanks for pointing me to this reference. Never heard of it until now.

I, too, don't understand how people can believe in many of the things
they're willing to kill others for (or to die for). Although Torah Judaism
as we know it is called a religion, it's my view that in the past the basic
message of the Tradition was much more than mere religion. Sure, it had its
fables and fantasies... but these were usually acknowledged as such
(stories for children and the feeble-minded). Abraham left Babylon because
he wanted to be free. That's how I see the Tradition... as a stubborn
anti-authoritarian system of life. Not many people understand that Torah
law must be applied to everyone equally... that is, in criminal and civil
matters, everybody must be judged based on the evidence, and everyone is
'equal under the law'. There are many instances here in Israel where a
Muslim has taken a Jew to a Rabbinical Court and won. That can't happen in
a Shariah Court (at least according to my research and conversations with
attorneys here, it doesn't happen).

Interesting that you mention 'science' as often being the basis for the
same types of madness as religion. There seems to be no limit to what
people will do to justify their beliefs. As the Doc Cochran character in
HBO's 'Deadwood' series says (in the second episode)... "I see as much
misery outta them movin' to justify theirselves as them that set out to do
harm."

P.S. Me missus and I went to Runnymede the other day, to visit the place
where the Magna Carta was signed...it being the anniversary year.
Interesting how much US input and money is in the place, though the site is
in the hands of the English National Trust, the American Bar Association
and rich Americans funded the memorial. Alongside there is a memorial to
President Kennedy. For a country that lays such store on the rule of law,
habeus corpus and human rights, one wonders why they have Gauntanamo Bay in
operation...but there you are...it's a funny ole world...and of course King
John didn't keep to the Magna Carta...he saw it is a temporary relief to
consolidate his plans to dominate the baronetcy even more.

Didn't know this... but it's not surprising. In law school, a lot of
emphasis is placed on the Magna Carta and its role in the 'rule of law' and
'equality under the law' ideas that eventually produced the U.S.
Constitution, which I think is one of the most remarkable documents ever
written.

While King John may not have been happy about the Magna Carta, it had a
positive long-term effect. Was he able to get around it, like most U.S.
Presidents who've undermined the Constitution by Executive Orders?

It's an historical tragedy that the U.S. failed to outlaw slavery from the
beginning, and took so long to implement the key principles of liberty and
equality under the law... and that its foreign policy didn't bother to make
the ideals in that document the primary focus of its strategy. Almost all
the hard-won legal principles of the Constitution don't exist any longer.

I suspect that few on this list have a favorable opinion of Donald Trump;
but he's correct when he says that if citizens in France would've had
weapons (legally), the ones who had them illegally would've been stopped
very quickly. He said the same thing about the Fort Hood jihad.

I'm an old man now, but I don't fret about it much... only in instances
like this and all the nonsensical hysteria about citizens owning guns. Here
in Israel, kitchen knives are wreaking havoc, and kids throwing rocks at
fast-moving cars have caused scores of deaths (over the years)... but
because off-duty soldiers, security guards, and a small number of private
citizens carry guns, the knife attackers are usually stopped very quickly.

I agree with the sentiments of those who say "When guns are outlawed, only
outlaws will have guns" and "If guns kill people, then pens and pencils
cause spelling mistakes".

I couldn't find an online reference, but remember an incident in America
where a man died while cutting down a tree... he did something that caused
the axe to slice an artery... and the local people put the axe on trial for
murder. I don't recall the outcome. But they probably hung the offending,
murderous axe.

Oh, yeah... the comment about Guantanamo Bay. It's a bit confusing that the
U.S. has always had this base in Cuba. Never understood it myself, and
still don't. It seems to me that the place is a training base for global
'false flag' operations.

I remember Fidel Castro appearing on the Ed Sullivan show; then not long
after becoming a sock puppet for the Soviets. I also remember the 'Bay of
Pigs' fiasco, and the 'Cuban Missile Crisis' that had us doing 'duck and
cover drills every day for several months. Every time a jetliner passed
overhead, my classmates and I had a bit of a panic.

I'm glad that relations with Cuba seem to be improving, but I think Fidel
was and is a dictator. Many years ago I was in grad school with an intense,
intelligent young woman from Cuba. I never understood the specific
circumstances that allowed her to be there... only that she was part of a
program that brought bright young people from all over the world to study
in U.S. universities. Another clue that, at some level, all the public
theatre and wrestling-spectacle politics is just part of a cynical game.

Thanks for your insights and references.

On 19/11/2015 11:51, Chien Fume wrote:

Doug: Perhaps by now you've gathered useful information on this subject. I
searched for the original Snowden document referenced in the article I
posted, but didn't find it... only references to it in news reports such as
a 2013 article titled "Online gaming surveillance: So many NSA & CIA
spies, they were spying on each other"

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2475679/data-privacy/online-gaming-surveillance--so-many-nsa---cia-spies--they-were-spying-on-each-other.html

It's no secret that rivalry between agencies often results in 'dirty
tricks' and 'revenge' (sometimes well-founded). But most of the time what
happens isn't intentional. This matter of one agency unintentionally going
after another agency is a very old problem in the clandestine services
world. The classical dilemma is most often revealed to the public in drug
enforcement operations, where units from different agencies 'bust' each
other. Sometimes these 'busts' make the news; but those who pay attention
to such things know that the case always fizzles, disappearing into the
Orwellian 'Memory Hole'.

As the articles I've located related to the unknown Snowden document show,
the problem today is made even more complex by modern technology. The new
battalion of cyber warriors Doug mentions will only make the situation more
difficult. As Thomas Pynchon says in one of his 'Proverbs for Paranoids'...
'if they can get you to ask the wrong question, they don't have to worry
about what answers you come up with'. From my view, Security Services all
over the world are prone to asking the wrong questions, looking in the
wrong place, flatly ignoring the blatantly obvious... and often getting
bonuses and higher pay grades for their actions.

In the not-so-distant past, in most cases much careful thought was
required before agents were given permission to act. Today, the information
glut makes it easier than ever to confuse operators and their coordinators.
It may well be that nobody (literally nobody) has a grasp of what's
actually going on. Experience has made me what one of my friends describes
as a 'transcendental cynic'. Everybody is being deceitful, not just the
government. Everybody will betray their closest friend, given the right
circumstances and incentives.

As John Young and others have been saying for years (at least as I
understand what they're saying), the increase in electronic surveillance
has decreased liberty and not made even a tiny dent in the actual threats.

Most troubling of all, it's obvious (even without Snowden, Manning, Anat
Kam, or Wikileaks and only from OSINT) that black-budget clandestine units
operating under the protection of 'emergency security' laws enacted by
governments are creating most of the mayhem. The geist of my old departed
friend Bob Wilson just popped into my mind, in the form of a Pooka, saying
'most but not all'. There are still some decent, honest, truly Human
people in the agencies and orgs... hoping (intending to) survive the
madness and be there when the currently metastasizing systems fail.

The actual malicious operators have exploited the 'security' hysteria and
found they have a lot of freedom to deploy tactics in support of their
strategy (in general, nihilistic). Freedom is losing. Tyranny is winning.
But, hasn't this been the dominant theme of Human history? Only rarely have
populations enjoyed genuine freedom... yet this shows that it's possible,
and somehow gives just enough hope that a future of genuine freedom isn't a
Utopian pipe dream.

TANGENTIAL, BUT RELATED OBSERVATION/COMMENT
In Israel, the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin was one of those instances
where a special 'black budget' unit within the Security Services itself was
ultimately responsible for the untimely demise of one of Israel's founders.
An agent using the code name 'Champagne' (with an unlimited budget and the
full backing of the 'Jewish Section' left over from the British Mandate
days) created an ultra-militant organization pretending to be carrying on
the legacy of Rabbi Meir Kahane. A few who knew and worked with Kahane
immediately saw that something wasn't 'kosher'... but the operation was
wildly successful and gathered a slough of followers... including the young
law student who would later assassinate Rabin. According to some who were
involved in 'Champagne's' faux Kahane group, the Security Services agent
(Champagne) was intense and persistent in his interactions with the future
assassin. That is, Champagne learned the weaknesses and beliefs of the
'religious' law student and convinced him that Rabin deserved to die
because of his actions regarding the Altalena, and his (Rabin's) intention
to give away the Jewish heartland to create a Jew-free Muslim state. A
careful analysis of Rabin's actual views on giving away land (especially
his last speech to the Knesset) suggest he didn't intend to do what
Champagne and others claimed... or what is today characterized as 'Rabin's
Legacy of Peace' (i.e. totally giving up Israel's valid legal claim to the
unreasonably disputed territory... see Eli Hertz Myths and Facts for the
most concise legal argument and proofs). Rabin's assassin is sitting in a
special prison today, in solitary confinement, but the Security Services
provocateur who set him up to do the deed, and even gave him the weapon to
use, is free, somewhere, enjoying a nice life at the expense of the Israeli
taxpayers (and probably also subsidized by the taxpayers of other
governments). Maybe Champagne is working on a new operation, using the name
'Guinness' ('Guinness is Good for You' but a Black & Tan is better, in my
opinion). The point of this tangential comment is that penetration and
destabilization operations often have a bad effect... although many
credible and experienced people in Israel suggest that Rabin was
obstructing the plans of others and was simply removed. As with many other
similar scenarios (such as JFK), I don't believe it's possible to know the
definitive truth... it's entered the realm of mythology. But I do know it's
a tragedy that Rabin was assassinated. It accomplished nothing other than
an unfair, untrue demonization of a large segment of the Israeli population
('Religious' Zionists). The people responsible for Rabin's assassination
should be executed (and that would include the provocateur, as well as
those who commanded him).

A man with one watch knows what time it is.
A man with two watches is never sure.
- Segal's Law

Technology as a magickal tool for business and government tradecraft is
overrated. How many newspapers around the world today contained a
classified ad saying only 'In thanks to St. Jude for favors rendered' or
'Write the things which thou hast seen and the things that are, and the
things which shall be hereafter'? Or something similar... something simple.
I've been told that Russia still uses vacuum tube technology for their
critical computing and radio systems. They also use typewriters, carbon
copies, and couriers for their most important information. The Rothschild
banks (at least in Europe) don't keep their customers' accounts in any
electronic form (at least they didn't in 2008). How many people today have
a hard-copy of their critical and important information? Very few. A big
mistake.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Dear Colleagues,
Chien Fume kindly raised the item in a recent posting, regarding
terrorist organisations using the likes of PS4 to communicate and transmit
instructions between its leadership and its cells in the recent Paris
shootings and bombings. He mentioned a document from Edward Snowden and I
notice that a number of newspapers have also raised the subject. However,
I have been unable to find any research papers on the subject.

I am rather intrigued by this, as GCHQ is now to employ, at a UK
taxpayers expense of £2 billion, an extra 1900 members of staff to become
expert gamers so that the terrorists can be stopped in their tracks.
(What a fun time we live in... :-)). We have come a long way from the
good old days of board games such as Diplomacy...:-).

I know that Bletchley, during World War 2 used transactional analysis as
a major part of its code-breaking exercises, providing cracks derived from
where they emanated, when they were sent, to whom and how long they were,
their length and frequency both in terms of how often and on what
wavelength, and the ability to decipher some of the content, from the likes
of weather messages to UBoats etc; so the subject is not new.

I am not familiar with internet gaming and just wondered if terrorist
organisations, rather than using sophisticated intelligence and cryptograpy
actually use steganography perhaps, or some kind of argot in the exchange
tokens or bitcoins or via networks set up under the guise of playing a game
on PS4 and such like. With the increasing sophistication and mass
surveillance developing on the internet, including the amassing of huge
amounts of metadata; then it is obvious that those who wish to communicate
in secret will develop all sorts of new methods and ways of passing on
information, rather than using TOR, or Tails or encryption of various kinds
and strengths.

Anyone point my nose to any research into this area?