[cryptome] Re: Using Playstation 4 and other Internet gaming options for secure transmission of secret instructions

  • From: Chien Fume <chien.fume@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:51:34 +0200

Doug: Perhaps by now you've gathered useful information on this subject. I
searched for the original Snowden document referenced in the article I
posted, but didn't find it... only references to it in news reports such as
a 2013 article titled "Online gaming surveillance: So many NSA & CIA spies,
they were spying on each other"
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2475679/data-privacy/online-gaming-surveillance--so-many-nsa---cia-spies--they-were-spying-on-each-other.html

It's no secret that rivalry between agencies often results in 'dirty
tricks' and 'revenge' (sometimes well-founded). But most of the time what
happens isn't intentional. This matter of one agency unintentionally going
after another agency is a very old problem in the clandestine services
world. The classical dilemma is most often revealed to the public in drug
enforcement operations, where units from different agencies 'bust' each
other. Sometimes these 'busts' make the news; but those who pay attention
to such things know that the case always fizzles, disappearing into the
Orwellian 'Memory Hole'.

As the articles I've located related to the unknown Snowden document show,
the problem today is made even more complex by modern technology. The new
battalion of cyber warriors Doug mentions will only make the situation more
difficult. As Thomas Pynchon says in one of his 'Proverbs for Paranoids'...
'if they can get you to ask the wrong question, they don't have to worry
about what answers you come up with'. From my view, Security Services all
over the world are prone to asking the wrong questions, looking in the
wrong place, flatly ignoring the blatantly obvious... and often getting
bonuses and higher pay grades for their actions.

In the not-so-distant past, in most cases much careful thought was required
before agents were given permission to act. Today, the information glut
makes it easier than ever to confuse operators and their coordinators. It
may well be that nobody (literally nobody) has a grasp of what's actually
going on. Experience has made me what one of my friends describes as a
'transcendental cynic'. Everybody is being deceitful, not just the
government. Everybody will betray their closest friend, given the right
circumstances and incentives.

As John Young and others have been saying for years (at least as I
understand what they're saying), the increase in electronic surveillance
has decreased liberty and not made even a tiny dent in the actual threats.

Most troubling of all, it's obvious (even without Snowden, Manning, Anat
Kam, or Wikileaks and only from OSINT) that black-budget clandestine units
operating under the protection of 'emergency security' laws enacted by
governments are creating most of the mayhem. The geist of my old departed
friend Bob Wilson just popped into my mind, in the form of a Pooka, saying
'most but not all'. There are still some decent, honest, truly Human
people in the agencies and orgs... hoping (intending to) survive the
madness and be there when the currently metastasizing systems fail.

The actual malicious operators have exploited the 'security' hysteria and
found they have a lot of freedom to deploy tactics in support of their
strategy (in general, nihilistic). Freedom is losing. Tyranny is winning.
But, hasn't this been the dominant theme of Human history? Only rarely have
populations enjoyed genuine freedom... yet this shows that it's possible,
and somehow gives just enough hope that a future of genuine freedom isn't a
Utopian pipe dream.

TANGENTIAL, BUT RELATED OBSERVATION/COMMENT
In Israel, the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin was one of those instances
where a special 'black budget' unit within the Security Services itself was
ultimately responsible for the untimely demise of one of Israel's founders.
An agent using the code name 'Champagne' (with an unlimited budget and the
full backing of the 'Jewish Section' left over from the British Mandate
days) created an ultra-militant organization pretending to be carrying on
the legacy of Rabbi Meir Kahane. A few who knew and worked with Kahane
immediately saw that something wasn't 'kosher'... but the operation was
wildly successful and gathered a slough of followers... including the young
law student who would later assassinate Rabin. According to some who were
involved in 'Champagne's' faux Kahane group, the Security Services agent
(Champagne) was intense and persistent in his interactions with the future
assassin. That is, Champagne learned the weaknesses and beliefs of the
'religious' law student and convinced him that Rabin deserved to die
because of his actions regarding the Altalena, and his (Rabin's) intention
to give away the Jewish heartland to create a Jew-free Muslim state. A
careful analysis of Rabin's actual views on giving away land (especially
his last speech to the Knesset) suggest he didn't intend to do what
Champagne and others claimed... or what is today characterized as 'Rabin's
Legacy of Peace' (i.e. totally giving up Israel's valid legal claim to the
unreasonably disputed territory... see Eli Hertz Myths and Facts for the
most concise legal argument and proofs). Rabin's assassin is sitting in a
special prison today, in solitary confinement, but the Security Services
provocateur who set him up to do the deed, and even gave him the weapon to
use, is free, somewhere, enjoying a nice life at the expense of the Israeli
taxpayers (and probably also subsidized by the taxpayers of other
governments). Maybe Champagne is working on a new operation, using the name
'Guinness' ('Guinness is Good for You' but a Black & Tan is better, in my
opinion). The point of this tangential comment is that penetration and
destabilization operations often have a bad effect... although many
credible and experienced people in Israel suggest that Rabin was
obstructing the plans of others and was simply removed. As with many other
similar scenarios (such as JFK), I don't believe it's possible to know the
definitive truth... it's entered the realm of mythology. But I do know it's
a tragedy that Rabin was assassinated. It accomplished nothing other than
an unfair, untrue demonization of a large segment of the Israeli population
('Religious' Zionists). The people responsible for Rabin's assassination
should be executed (and that would include the provocateur, as well as
those who commanded him).

A man with one watch knows what time it is.
A man with two watches is never sure.
- Segal's Law

Technology as a magickal tool for business and government tradecraft is
overrated. How many newspapers around the world today contained a
classified ad saying only 'In thanks to St. Jude for favors rendered' or
'Write the things which thou hast seen and the things that are, and the
things which shall be hereafter'? Or something similar... something simple.
I've been told that Russia still uses vacuum tube technology for their
critical computing and radio systems. They also use typewriters, carbon
copies, and couriers for their most important information. The Rothschild
banks (at least in Europe) don't keep their customers' accounts in any
electronic form (at least they didn't in 2008). How many people today have
a hard-copy of their critical and important information? Very few. A big
mistake.

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 5:59 PM, doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Dear Colleagues,
Chien Fume kindly raised the item in a recent posting, regarding terrorist
organisations using the likes of PS4 to communicate and transmit
instructions between its leadership and its cells in the recent Paris
shootings and bombings. He mentioned a document from Edward Snowden and I
notice that a number of newspapers have also raised the subject. However,
I have been unable to find any research papers on the subject.

I am rather intrigued by this, as GCHQ is now to employ, at a UK taxpayers
expense of £2 billion, an extra 1900 members of staff to become expert
gamers so that the terrorists can be stopped in their tracks. (What a fun
time we live in... :-)). We have come a long way from the good old days of
board games such as Diplomacy...:-).

I know that Bletchley, during World War 2 used transactional analysis as a
major part of its code-breaking exercises, providing cracks derived from
where they emanated, when they were sent, to whom and how long they were,
their length and frequency both in terms of how often and on what
wavelength, and the ability to decipher some of the content, from the likes
of weather messages to UBoats etc; so the subject is not new.

I am not familiar with internet gaming and just wondered if terrorist
organisations, rather than using sophisticated intelligence and cryptograpy
actually use steganography perhaps, or some kind of argot in the exchange
tokens or bitcoins or via networks set up under the guise of playing a game
on PS4 and such like. With the increasing sophistication and mass
surveillance developing on the internet, including the amassing of huge
amounts of metadata; then it is obvious that those who wish to communicate
in secret will develop all sorts of new methods and ways of passing on
information, rather than using TOR, or Tails or encryption of various kinds
and strengths.

Anyone point my nose to any research into this area?