[cryptome] Re: Useful [Or Not] browsing tool

  • From: Andrew Hornback <achornback@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:15:39 -0400

Another thing to consider would be any kind of plugin that blocks
cookies/tracking technologies by any member of the IAB -
http://www.iab.net/  These are the folks that are making cubic dollars off
of your surfing habits.

I believe there is a plugin for Firefox available, not sure about Chrome -
using the Do Not Track feature in modern versions of Internet Explorer
(supposedly) works, other browsers are a crap-shoot.

Another thing that I do is to use different browsers for different things -
some of these organizations that compile statistics aren't smart enough to
combine your profiles across different browsers, but they're getting
smarter every day.  A plugin plus a really well crafted set of firewall
rules might be a good place to start if you're serious about blocking these
organizations.

--- A